Mohamed Salah helped Liverpool back to the top of the Premier League with a goal that came 14 seconds after Fulham had an effort controversially disallowed for offside.
Replays showed the decision on Aleksandar Mitrovic's header was borderline with Liverpool left-back Andrew Robertson appearing to be in line with the Serbia forward.
But as the Fulham players celebrated, Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson initiated a lightning counterattack that Salah, who ran unopposed from halfway, fully capitalised on.
Xherdan Shaqiri's cushioned finish in the second half confirmed victory for the Reds who equalled their best start to a Premier League season which came in 2002-03.
Chelsea, who face Everton (14:15 GMT) and Manchester City, who play neighbours Manchester United (16:30 GMT), will go back above Liverpool if they both win later today.
Up until Salah's goal it had been tough going for the hosts who started well but were then frustrated by a well-marshalled Fulham side who remain bottom of the division.
Slavisa Jokanovic's team had arrived at Anfield with the worst defensive record in the division but with on-loan Sevilla goalkeeper Sergio Rico also impressing, they kept the hosts at bay for long periods and also created several promising chances.
Ryan Sessegnon and Mitrovic both spurned good opportunities to score while the teams were level.
But once ahead, Liverpool - who have an unenviable record against the bottom three Premier League clubs under Jurgen Klopp - rarely looked like relinquishing their advantage as they consigned the visitors to a sixth consecutive league defeat.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- AFCON 2019: Salah scores as Egypt move into last 16
- VIDEO: A look at Andre Ayew's record 9 Afcon goals for Ghana
- AFCON 2019: Zimbabwe held after two glaring Musona misses
- AFCON 2019: Omeruo header helps Nigeria qualify for last 16
- Riyad Mahrez, wife ordered to pay former nanny
- AFCON 2019: Amr Warda sent home by Egypt for disciplinary reasons
- Man Utd reach agreement with Palace for £50m Wan-Bissaka
- AFCON 2019: Nigeria players 'owed bonuses and allowances'
- AFCON2019: Pote shots leave Ghana hot in Benin draw
- Ghana 2-2 Benin: Five things we learned
- Ghana 2-2 Benin: Black Stars players rated
- AFCON 2019: Cameroon too strong for Guinea-Bissau
- AFCON 2019: Why this may be Ghana's best yet
- AFCON 2019: Black Stars XI v Benin - Kwadwo Asamoah benched
- AFCON 2019: Can Ghana win? Kinna Likimani doubts