Matchday 4 of the Normalisation Committee Special Cup played saw Kotoko maintain their lead at the top of Zone A with victory over AshantiGold, Hearts of Oak bounce back to winning ways, and WAFA end Karela United’s unbeaten run in Zone B.
Fatawu Safiu scored a second-half brace as Asante Kotoko defeated regional rivals AshantiGold 2-0 in Kumasi. The Miners who had not conceded in their opening three games let in two goals in the last 15 minutes against Kotoko to suffer their first defeat of the competition.
In a game of two halves, goalkeeper Felix Annan produced an incredible performance in the first half to prevent Ashgold from scoring. Kotoko were the better side in the second half. They created chances which were converted by Safiu.
In Accra, Hearts of Oak recovered from back to back defeats on the road to beat Ebusua Dwarfs 2-1. Joseph Esso scored the two goals for the Phobians with Bright Lukman grabbing the consolation for Dwarfs.
Esso opened the scoring for Hearts in the first minute. The striker finished brilliantly after running unto a through pass from Obeng Jnr. He doubled the lead before half time when he rounded the goalkeeper and calmly slotted home.
WAFA continued their impressive home form as they ended Karela United’s unbeaten run with a 2-1 victory at the Red Bull Academy in Sogakope.
In other games, Medeama beat Bechem United 3-2, Aduana stunned Chelsea 1-0 in Berekum Elmina Sharks played out a goalless draw with Liberty Professionals and Inter Allies won at home 2-1 against Dreams FC.
The top two teams in each zone will face off in the playoff to determine the winner who will represent Ghana in the Caf Champions League next season.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- NC Special Cup: Yacouba returns to inspire Kotoko to victory, Hearts confirm top spot in Premier B
- Nadal defeats Djokovic in Italian Open final to win first title of year
- Barca held by Eibar despite Messi double
- Real Madrid end campaign with 12th league defeat
- Deontay Wilder knocks out Dominic Breazeale in first round to defend title
- Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany to leave after 11 years
- Manchester City win FA Cup to secure historic domestic football treble
- AFCON 2019: Why Asamoah Gyan must be sacrificed for the future
- Robben, Ribery strike in perfect farewell as Bayern seal Bundesliga title in style
- 'Bribed' referees who handled Ashgold-Kotoko clash banned temporarily
- Guardiola relaxed over UEFA probe into Manchester City
- Allegri to leave Juventus this summer
- ANALYSIS: Only these players from Ghana's 2017 AFCON team should go to Egypt. [Infographic]
- Wafu Women's Cup: Ghana fail to reach final after Nigeria defeat
- Asantehene calls for golf support