Ghana will not be seeded for this year’s Africa Cup of Nations and could now face a tough group when the draw is made on Friday in Cairo.
The Confederation African Football(Caf) confirmed on Thursday that the six seeded countries would be hosts Egypt, holders Cameroon, Nigeria, Tunisia, Senegal and Morocco.
Coach Kwesi Appiah’s side find themselves in Pot Two and will be drawn against one of the top seeds when the groups are decided.
The pots and seedings of the 24 qualified teams were decided based on the latest FIFA World rankings (released 4 April 2019).
Ghana gained two points which was not enough to help their cause of being seeded.
The 24 finalists have been divided into four pots‚ each containing six teams‚ which will be drawn into the six first-round groups.
After the first round, the top two sides in each Group will advance to the second round‚ along with the four best third-placed teams.
The 2019 Africa Cup of Nations will run from 21 June to 19 July and will for the first time have 24 teams.
Pot 1 (Seeds): Egypt, Cameroon, Tunisia, Nigeria, Senegal, Morocco
Pot 2: GHANA, DR Congo, Mali Ivory Coast - Guinea - Algeria
Pot 3: South Africa Uganda Benin Mauritania Madagascar Kenya
Pot 4: Zimbabwe Namibia Guinea Bissau Angola Tanzania Burundi
Black Stars haven’t won the Africa Cup of Nations since 1982.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- AFCON 2019: Morocco coach blasts referee after he refuses water break in searing heat
- Tunisia v Angola kick-off time, team news, head-to-head, form and more
- AFCON 2019: Algeria earn comfortable win over Kenya
- Argentina beat Qatar 2-0 to qualify for Copa America last eight
- AFCON 2019: Senegal see off Tanzania in Mane's absence
- NC Special Cup: Kotoko beat Karela on penalties to lift trophy
- AFCON 2019: Morocco beat Namibia with late own goal
- Algeria v Kenya: Kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- Senegal v Tanzania: Kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- Morocco v Namibia: Kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- NC Special Cup: Can Karela United make history?
- Brazil crush Peru 5-0 to reach Copa America last eight
- AFCON 2019: Madagascar draw with Guinea on tournament debut
- AFCON 2019: Mahrez concerned about unknown quantity Kenya
- AFCON 2019: Ighalo scores as Nigeria beat Burundi in Group B opener