Ghana will not be seeded for this year’s Africa Cup of Nations and could now face a tough group when the draw is made on Friday in Cairo.
The Confederation African Football(Caf) confirmed on Thursday that the six seeded countries would be hosts Egypt, holders Cameroon, Nigeria, Tunisia, Senegal and Morocco.
Coach Kwesi Appiah’s side find themselves in Pot Two and will be drawn against one of the top seeds when the groups are decided.
The pots and seedings of the 24 qualified teams were decided based on the latest FIFA World rankings (released 4 April 2019).
Ghana gained two points which was not enough to help their cause of being seeded.
The 24 finalists have been divided into four pots‚ each containing six teams‚ which will be drawn into the six first-round groups.
After the first round, the top two sides in each Group will advance to the second round‚ along with the four best third-placed teams.
The 2019 Africa Cup of Nations will run from 21 June to 19 July and will for the first time have 24 teams.
Pot 1 (Seeds): Egypt, Cameroon, Tunisia, Nigeria, Senegal, Morocco
Pot 2: GHANA, DR Congo, Mali Ivory Coast - Guinea - Algeria
Pot 3: South Africa Uganda Benin Mauritania Madagascar Kenya
Pot 4: Zimbabwe Namibia Guinea Bissau Angola Tanzania Burundi
Black Stars haven’t won the Africa Cup of Nations since 1982.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- MTN supports South African Freedom Day Golf Tourney
- Pogba only player not from Man City or Liverpool in PFA Team of the Year
- Cabic Promotions not happy with Heavyweight boxer Richard Lartey's delayed UK Visa
- Ex-EPL stars set for Ghana scouting programme on April 29
- Premier League wage bill surges to £2.9bn
- Man City return to top with derby win over Man United
- Superb Wolves dent Arsenal's top-four hopes
- NC Special Cup: Kotoko, Hearts win to end first round on a high
- Samini to perform at 44th MTN SWAG Awards
- Ortiz will not replace Miller as Joshua's next opponent
- NC Special Cup: Matchday 7 preview
- Barcelona close in on La Liga title with routine win at Alaves
- William Amponsah wins 2019 Kwahu Easter Mountain Marathon
- Over 100 golfers ready to compete in SA Golf Tourney
- VIDEO FEATURE: Nana Ama Ayenor, the young female coach on a mission