[Infographic] Five days after brutal assault, ref Bremensu "yet to get support from Normalisation Committee"

[Infographic] Five days after brutal assault, ref Bremensu "yet to get support from Normalisation Committee"
Source: Ghana/Joy Sports/Gary Al-Smith
Date: 12-04-2019 Time: 12:04:23:pm
Referee Theresa Bremensu was attacked after the match.

Five days after the assault of Theresa Bremensu, the referee has yet to receive support from the authorities.

The 16-year veteran was the center referee in the crucial Women’s Special Competition semifinal first leg clash between Prisons Ladies and Ampem Darkoa in Sunyani at the weekend when she was brutalized for not adding enough extra time.

Related: I was beaten like an armed robber - Ref Bremensu opens up on attack

In her subsequent radio interviews, Bremensu identified some of the people who assaulted her as Prisons Service officials.

Joy Sports spoke to the PRO of the Ghana Prisons Service, Vitalis Aiyeh, on Monday, and he promised that his outfit will deal with anyone found culpable.

Meanwhile, at least one officer of the service was sent to see the referee on Monday night.

In the five days since the incident, the GFA Normalization Committee has issued a strongly worded statement condemning the violence and promising action against perpetrators.

"Since the issue happened in Sunyani, I was afraid of my safety and so I went straight to Takoradi," Bremensu tells Joy Sports.

There, she checked into a hospital, after which she reported the incident to the police at Kojokrom.

"The officers said because the incident happened in Sunyani, I have to go back to report it there."

Her injuries - a bloodstained eye, swellings on various bodily parts, and a ringing ear - have made it impossible to make the 400 km trip, she says.

"If I feel better later on Friday, I will go, but for now I am not feeling very okay".

Bremensu, a Fifa licensed ref since 2008, says she is yet to receive financial support or contact from the Normalization Committee.

ref beaten