Former President Jerry John Rawlings has urged World Boxing Organisation (WBO) African Bantamweight champion, Joseph ‘Fresh King’ Agbeko to go all out as he defends his title against Tanzania’s Shabani Hashimu Zeberi on Good Friday April 19.
The former President who is an avid boxing enthusiast said the whole country is behind Agbeko and promised he will take a victory walk with the champion if he successfully defends the title.
The title bout in Keta is part of a nine-fight boxing festival dubbed the ‘Clash for Redemption’ being organized by Aborigines Promotions.
Promoter Mitch Kobla Woollams, who’s the CEO of Aborigines Promotions said all is set for the Keta showdown when he and Joseph Agbeko called on the former President last Thursday to invite him to the event.
Earlier Joseph Agbeko said he was inspired by the former President hence his decision to call on him prior to Friday’s bout. He said he was looking forward to a walk with the former President because a few years ago he saw an awe-inspiring photo of Azumah Nelson with the former President that has stayed on his memory for long and looked forward to a similar opportunity.
Other fights on the Good Friday night bill include an IBF Africa Lightweight championship involving John Koudeha of Togo and Victus Kemavor of Ghana, National Super Lightweight championship between Anama Dotse and Tackie Annan, as well as a WBO Super Middleweight bout involving Emmanuel Martey and Ibrahim Tamba of Tanzania.
Others on the bill are Nathaniel Nukpe and Saidu Amadu in a Lightweight contest, Hounkpatin Komlangan Mathieu of Togo and Isaac Kotey of Ghana in an international Super Featherweight fight, International Super Welterweight contest involving Allah de Rahim of Afghanistan and Isaac Tetteh of Ghana and a Super Featherweight contest between Michael Pappoe and John Oblitei Commey.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Ronaldo will not face charges over alleged rape
- Hearts of Oak release goalkeeper Ernest Sowah
- Chelsea defender Ethan Ampadu joins RB Leipzig on loan
- Betway Talent Search 2019: Desire FC win Northern Zone
- 'Zidane is a disgrace!' - Bale's agent slams Real Madrid boss
- Ghana Football Awards: Partey retains Footballer of the Year crown
- Pacquiao beats Thurman on points to take WBA Super welterweight title
- CAF Competitions: Kotoko set for Nigerian challenge and Ashgold get Equatoguinean opponents
- Herve Renard resigns as Morocco coach
- Sports Minister to brief parliament on AFCON2019
- Bale 'very close' to exit - Zinedine Zidane.
- AFCON 2019: The tournament of the underdog
- Man Utd reject Inter Milan's £54m Lukaku bid
- The #JoyAFCON Team of the Tournament
- Senegal 0-1 Algeria: Five things we learned