Luis Ortiz will not replace Jarrell Miller as world heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua's opponent on 1 June, the Cuban's promoter has said.
Joshua was due to fight Miller at New York's Madison Square Garden - the British fighter's US debut.
But Miller was denied a licence after an "adverse finding" from a sample taken on 20 March.
King Kong Boxing accused Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn of using Ortiz, 40, as a "gimmick".
"We just received news from promoter that it's a no-go and it was all a gimmick and Hearn's low-ball offers will not be accepted," wrote King Kong Boxing on Instagram.
"No contract even ever got sent so sorry to all the loyal fans. Luis really wanted this title shot."
A new opponent for IBF, WBA and WBO champion Joshua is expected to be announced this week, with Hearn having said the boxer's "preparations continue" and that eight boxers were being considered as Miller's replacement.
Among those under consideration and named by Hearn were Ortiz, Poland's Adam Kownacki and American Michael Hunter.
Ortiz has lost just once in 32 fights, against WBC champion Deontay Wilder in March 2018.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- The #JoyAFCON Team of the Tournament
- Senegal 0-1 Algeria: Five things we learned
- Algeria win Africa Cup of Nations with fortuitous early goal
- Parliament: Sports Minister summoned to explain poor AFCON showing
- 'I'd swap Champions League medal for Afcon' - Mane
- BHOBU-POGA Health Walk slated for July 20
- Senegal v Algeria: kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- Ghana to face South Africa in AFCON 2021 qualifying
- Amaju Pinnick dismissed as Caf vice-president
- Mikel Obi retires from international football
- A fifth “All-African Coaches” AFCON final
- Juventus sign De Ligt on five-year deal
- AFCON 2019: Ighalo hands Nigeria bronze
- Atletico Madrid sign Tottenham defender Kieran Trippier
- Kotoko midfielder Kwame Bonsu completes move to Esperance