The University of Ghana Sports Directorate in collaboration with the Ghana Athletics Association will organize and host the 1st UG National Athletics Open Championship on Saturday, 6th April 2019 at the University of Ghana Stadium.
Why the Championship and Prospects
This championship will afford all athletes across the nation to compete for qualification towards the upcoming All African Games in Rabat, Morocco in August 2019. The National Open Championship also holds the greatest prospects for UG athletes as it will prepare and test them towards the Ghana Universities Sports Association (GUSA) Games to be hosted by the University of Ghana in 2020.
Preparation of Team UG
The athletics team of UG is putting in a lot of work since they returned from the mini-GUSA Games hosted by the University of Cape Coast. The athlete’s quest for success on the field has seen them train beyond the usual training schedules. The recent performance of the team at the African Universities Olympics hosted by Al-Azhar University in Cairo, Egypt gives glimpses of the team’s preparedness.
Benjamin Azameti, a level 200 student reading Marine Science and 100 meters champion at the mini-GUSA Games with a time of 10.608 seconds and also Champion at the maiden African Universities Olympics hosted by Al-Azhar University in Cairo, Egypt last month remarked that he looks forward to qualifying for the All African Games.
“I am happy this championship is finally being organised. It is an opportunity for my teammates and me to improve on our time and also qualify for the All African Games in Rabat, Morocco.”
UG Athletics Coaches Upbeat on Championship
The three athletics Coaches for UG are relishing to see their athletes perform at the championship. They opined that it is one of many opportunities to see the outcome of the hardwork they put in training and also to see their athletes qualify for the All African Games. It will serve the coaches well as UG seek to win 70% of the gold medals in athletics when it hosts the GUSA Games in 2020.
Participation and Registration
So far about one hundred athletes have registered to participate in the national open championship. The online registration which is still ongoing closes on Thursday, 4th April 2019 at 11:59 pm. The registration is free.
Click here to register
The competition will see other athletes from rival universities compete for qualification for Morocco. The championship is returning after two years of absence.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Azumah pays tribute to former opponent Whitaker
- Pernell 'SweetPea' Whitaker, vanquisher of Azumah Nelson, dies in car accident
- Caf boss Ahmad paid expenses for same days but different countries
- Esperance and Wydad lodge Champions League appeals
- 'I am studying German' - Mourinho hints at Bundesliga interest
- AFCON 2019: Senegal to miss defender Kalidou Koulibaly in final
- AFCON 2019: Celebrations marred by violence after Algeria's semi-final win
- AFCON 2019: Mahrez scores late winner to put Algeria into final
- AFCON 2019: Senegal beat Tunisia after extra-time to reach final
- Novak Djokovic beats Roger Federer in Wimbledon final-set tie-break thriller
- 'Beating PSG 6-1 my best footballing memory' - Neymar fuels Barca comeback
- Senegal v Tunisia: kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- AFCON 2019: Military planes to fly Algeria fans to Cairo for Nigeria clash
- Agyemang-Badu joins Hellas Verona on loan
- Simona Halep beats Serena Williams to win Wimbledon title