The University of Ghana Sports Directorate in collaboration with the Ghana Athletics Association will organize and host the 1st UG National Athletics Open Championship on Saturday, 6th April 2019 at the University of Ghana Stadium.
Why the Championship and Prospects
This championship will afford all athletes across the nation to compete for qualification towards the upcoming All African Games in Rabat, Morocco in August 2019. The National Open Championship also holds the greatest prospects for UG athletes as it will prepare and test them towards the Ghana Universities Sports Association (GUSA) Games to be hosted by the University of Ghana in 2020.
Preparation of Team UG
The athletics team of UG is putting in a lot of work since they returned from the mini-GUSA Games hosted by the University of Cape Coast. The athlete’s quest for success on the field has seen them train beyond the usual training schedules. The recent performance of the team at the African Universities Olympics hosted by Al-Azhar University in Cairo, Egypt gives glimpses of the team’s preparedness.
Benjamin Azameti, a level 200 student reading Marine Science and 100 meters champion at the mini-GUSA Games with a time of 10.608 seconds and also Champion at the maiden African Universities Olympics hosted by Al-Azhar University in Cairo, Egypt last month remarked that he looks forward to qualifying for the All African Games.
“I am happy this championship is finally being organised. It is an opportunity for my teammates and me to improve on our time and also qualify for the All African Games in Rabat, Morocco.”
UG Athletics Coaches Upbeat on Championship
The three athletics Coaches for UG are relishing to see their athletes perform at the championship. They opined that it is one of many opportunities to see the outcome of the hardwork they put in training and also to see their athletes qualify for the All African Games. It will serve the coaches well as UG seek to win 70% of the gold medals in athletics when it hosts the GUSA Games in 2020.
Participation and Registration
So far about one hundred athletes have registered to participate in the national open championship. The online registration which is still ongoing closes on Thursday, 4th April 2019 at 11:59 pm. The registration is free.
Click here to register
The competition will see other athletes from rival universities compete for qualification for Morocco. The championship is returning after two years of absence.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany to leave after 11 years
- Deontay Wilder knocks out Dominic Breazeale in first round to defend title
- Manchester City win FA Cup to secure historic domestic football treble
- AFCON 2019: Why Asamoah Gyan must be sacrificed for the future
- Robben, Ribery strike in perfect farewell as Bayern seal Bundesliga title in style
- 'Bribed' referees who handled Ashgold-Kotoko clash banned temporarily
- Guardiola relaxed over UEFA probe into Manchester City
- Allegri to leave Juventus this summer
- ANALYSIS: Only these players from Ghana's 2017 AFCON team should go to Egypt. [Infographic]
- Wafu Women's Cup: Ghana fail to reach final after Nigeria defeat
- Asantehene calls for golf support
- Solskjaer will get financial backing to 'create success' at Man United
- Thomas Partey could join Inter, claims agent
- Man City referred to UEFA judicial chamber over alleged FFP breaches
- FIFA seeks a billion World Cup viewers to boost women's game