On Wednesday, Asante Kotoko will welcome Zambia’s Zesco United to the Baba Yara Stadium for their second group game of the 2019 CAF Confederation Cup.
The Porcupine Warriors didn’t get their campaign off to a flyer as they were beaten 1-0 in Sudan by Al Hilal Omdurman. Which means tomorrow’s game is a must-win and anything short of victory will harm Kotoko’s chances of qualifying to the knockout stages.
However, CK Akonnor’s men must tread cautiously as their opponents will surely offer a stern test, taking into consideration their recent performances. The Zambians are in superb form, churning out impressive statistics.
Zesco’s last visit to Ghana saw them crash out of the 2014 CAF Confederation Cup following a 2-0 defeat to Medeama in Sekondi.
But they have improved tremendously in recent years. Since 2016, the Zegalacticos have not tasted defeat in West Africa.
They have played five matches – two against Ivorian giants Asec Mimosas, Stade Malien of Mali, Niger’s AS SONIDEP and Nigerian giants Enugu Rangers.
1-3 vs. Stade Malien – CAF CL
1-1 vs. ASEC Mimosas – CAF CL
1-2 vs. ASEC Mimosas – CAF CL
1-2 vs. AS SONIDEP – CAF CL
2-2 vs. Enugu Rangers – CAF CC
Wins – 3
Draws – 2
Goals for – 10
Goals Against – 6
Also, another stat that should be a worry for Kotoko is that Zesco are unbeaten in their last five games in all competitions this season.
3-1 vs. Kaizer Chiefs – CAF CC
1-2 vs. Kaizer Chiefs – CAF CC
0-1 vs. Green Buffaloes – Zambian league
2-0 vs. Nkana FC – CAF CC
2-0 vs. Nakambala Leopards – Zambian league
Goals for – 10
Goals Against – 2
With the numbers highlighted above, Zesco will fancy their chances but Kotoko must make the most of playing in front of an expected packed stadium.
The match will kickoff at 4 pm.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Prison Ladies fined ¢5,000 for assault on ref Bremansu
- ‘Prof Wallace’ writes: Economic benefits of sports
- MTN supports South African Freedom Day Golf Tourney
- Pogba only player not from Man City or Liverpool in PFA Team of the Year
- UK visa delay could hurt Ghanaian Heavyweight boxer Richard Lartey's dream
- Ex-EPL stars set for Ghana scouting programme on April 29
- Premier League wage bill surges to £2.9bn
- Man City return to top with derby win over Man United
- Superb Wolves dent Arsenal's top-four hopes
- NC Special Cup: Kotoko, Hearts win to end first round on a high
- Samini to perform at 44th MTN SWAG Awards
- Ortiz will not replace Miller as Joshua's next opponent
- NC Special Cup: Matchday 7 preview
- Barcelona close in on La Liga title with routine win at Alaves
- William Amponsah wins 2019 Kwahu Easter Mountain Marathon