On Wednesday, Asante Kotoko will welcome Zambia’s Zesco United to the Baba Yara Stadium for their second group game of the 2019 CAF Confederation Cup.
The Porcupine Warriors didn’t get their campaign off to a flyer as they were beaten 1-0 in Sudan by Al Hilal Omdurman. Which means tomorrow’s game is a must-win and anything short of victory will harm Kotoko’s chances of qualifying to the knockout stages.
However, CK Akonnor’s men must tread cautiously as their opponents will surely offer a stern test, taking into consideration their recent performances. The Zambians are in superb form, churning out impressive statistics.
Zesco’s last visit to Ghana saw them crash out of the 2014 CAF Confederation Cup following a 2-0 defeat to Medeama in Sekondi.
But they have improved tremendously in recent years. Since 2016, the Zegalacticos have not tasted defeat in West Africa.
They have played five matches – two against Ivorian giants Asec Mimosas, Stade Malien of Mali, Niger’s AS SONIDEP and Nigerian giants Enugu Rangers.
1-3 vs. Stade Malien – CAF CL
1-1 vs. ASEC Mimosas – CAF CL
1-2 vs. ASEC Mimosas – CAF CL
1-2 vs. AS SONIDEP – CAF CL
2-2 vs. Enugu Rangers – CAF CC
Wins – 3
Draws – 2
Goals for – 10
Goals Against – 6
Also, another stat that should be a worry for Kotoko is that Zesco are unbeaten in their last five games in all competitions this season.
3-1 vs. Kaizer Chiefs – CAF CC
1-2 vs. Kaizer Chiefs – CAF CC
0-1 vs. Green Buffaloes – Zambian league
2-0 vs. Nkana FC – CAF CC
2-0 vs. Nakambala Leopards – Zambian league
Goals for – 10
Goals Against – 2
With the numbers highlighted above, Zesco will fancy their chances but Kotoko must make the most of playing in front of an expected packed stadium.
The match will kickoff at 4 pm.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Europa League draw: Arsenal face Rennes and Chelsea play Dynamo Kiev
- Chelsea 'categorically refute' FIFA findings, confirms intention to appeal ban
- Chelsea banned from signing new players for next two transfer windows
- Christian Atsu: ‘Sometimes what’s happened to me seems like a miracle’
- Arsenal, Chelsea march into Europa League last 16
- Ghana's Ambassador designate to Belgium donates to Accra Lawn Tennis Club
- CAF Confederation Cup: Race for knockout stage heats up
- Lassana Diarra's PSG contract terminated
- Gov't releases funds for completion of UG stadium
- After Champions League loss to Atletico Madrid, Juventus is on the brink
- Ronaldo: I've won five Champions Leagues, Atletico have zero
- 'Cojones' celebration came from the heart - Simeone
- Manchester City 'still not ready to fight for the latter stages' - Manager Guardiola
- Atletico overcome VAR setbacks to beat Juventus
- Late goals give Manchester City 3-2 win at Schalke