Ghana's Ambassador designate to the Kingdom of Belgium and Permanent Representative to the European Union H.E. Mrs Harriet Siaw-Boateng has donated tennis equipment to the Accra Lawn Tennis Club.
Mrs Siaw-Boateng, a former tennis player herself presented the items which comprised of tennis rackets, balls, shoes to the Ridge Church School Tennis Club and the Accra Lawn Tennis Club.
According to her, the donation of tennis equipment is to ensure that young tennis players enjoy the opportunity to further and improve their training.
"The Accra Lawn tennis club has been here for many years and it has developed a lot of players who have gone abroad and held the flag of Ghana high," she said
"Given the fact that it is a sport that develops you mentally, disciplines you, teaches you how to be strong and how to always wake up after failure.
She added that "We thought that starting with the young kids, they will learn all these principles that the game teaches. It is with this development that we have decided to train young children and bring them up in the sport. It will not be a one off, wherever we are we will try and develop the sport."
Mr Peter Annan, a member of the Ghana Tennis Federation and also an Executive member of the Accra Lawn Tennis club received the items.
He lauded Mrs Harriet Siaw-Boateng for the gesture and asked other individuals, groups and organisations to emulate the ambassador designate.
"Our doors are opened and we are always ready to teach the kids, all we need is the equipment and we thank madam for her kind gesture and I pray others will follow." He said
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Tanzania seal Afcon return after 39 years
- Appiah reveals reasons for Asamoah's no-show against Kenya
- First Ghana goal excites Caleb Ekuban
- Ghana 1-0 Kenya: Five things we learned
- Player Ratings: Ghana 1-0 Kenya
- 2019 Afcon qualifier: Ekuban debut goal saves Ghana's blushes
- U-23 Afcon qualifier: Ghana thrash Gabon 4-0 in first leg
- 2019 AFCON: Burundi seal historic qualification
- 2019 AFCON qualifier: Ghana vs Kenya preview
- Sterling bags hat-trick as England thrash Czech Republic
- Portugal draw blank against Ukraine on Ronaldo's return
- Messi returns but Argentina lose 3-1 to Venezuela
- Normalisation Committee to stay on another six months
- [Infographic + video]: Why Kwesi Appiah may have no choice than to select benchwarmers
- Juventus say choosing Asia over U.S. for ICC not related to Ronaldo rape allegation