The missing plane carrying Cardiff striker Emiliano Sala and pilot David Ibbotson has been found.
On Sunday night investigators said they had located the wreckage on the seabed of the English Channel and the families of those on board had been told.
Sala had just completed his £15million move to Cardiff when the plane carrying him and pilot Ibbotson disappeared over the English Channel on January 21 after leaving Nantes for the Welsh capital.
After rescuers and Guernsey police called off the official search, Sala’s sister, Romina, organised the GoFundMe page that led to a private search being started, and which eventually found the plane.
"Wreckage of the plane carrying Emiliano Sala and piloted by David Ibbotson was located early this morning," marine scientist David Mearns, who directed the search, said on Twitter.
Mearns said Britain's Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) had moved its vessel over the position his team had located to visually identify the plane using a remote-operated vehicle.
"The families of Emiliano Sala and David Ibbotson have been notified by police. The AAIB will be making a statement tomorrow. Tonight our sole thoughts are with the families and friends of Emiliano and David," Mearns said.
The scene at the Cardiff City Stadium on Saturday. Getty Images
Cardiff paid tribute to the Argentine ahead of their 2-0 victory over Bournemouth on Saturday, the first home game since Sala’s disappearance.
(Additional reporting: Reuters)
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Rafael Benitez to leave Newcastle United
- Ivory Coast v South Africa: kick-off time, team news, head-to-head, form and more
- AFCON 2019: Morocco coach blasts referee after he refuses water break in searing heat
- Tunisia v Angola kick-off time, team news, head-to-head, form and more
- AFCON 2019: Algeria earn comfortable win over Kenya
- Argentina beat Qatar 2-0 to qualify for Copa America last eight
- AFCON 2019: Senegal see off Tanzania in Mane's absence
- NC Special Cup: Kotoko beat Karela on penalties to lift trophy
- AFCON 2019: Morocco beat Namibia with late own goal
- Algeria v Kenya: Kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- Senegal v Tanzania: Kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- Morocco v Namibia: Kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- NC Special Cup: Can Karela United make history?
- Brazil crush Peru 5-0 to reach Copa America last eight
- AFCON 2019: Madagascar draw with Guinea on tournament debut