The missing plane carrying Cardiff striker Emiliano Sala and pilot David Ibbotson has been found.
On Sunday night investigators said they had located the wreckage on the seabed of the English Channel and the families of those on board had been told.
Sala had just completed his £15million move to Cardiff when the plane carrying him and pilot Ibbotson disappeared over the English Channel on January 21 after leaving Nantes for the Welsh capital.
After rescuers and Guernsey police called off the official search, Sala’s sister, Romina, organised the GoFundMe page that led to a private search being started, and which eventually found the plane.
"Wreckage of the plane carrying Emiliano Sala and piloted by David Ibbotson was located early this morning," marine scientist David Mearns, who directed the search, said on Twitter.
Mearns said Britain's Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) had moved its vessel over the position his team had located to visually identify the plane using a remote-operated vehicle.
"The families of Emiliano Sala and David Ibbotson have been notified by police. The AAIB will be making a statement tomorrow. Tonight our sole thoughts are with the families and friends of Emiliano and David," Mearns said.
The scene at the Cardiff City Stadium on Saturday. Getty Images
Cardiff paid tribute to the Argentine ahead of their 2-0 victory over Bournemouth on Saturday, the first home game since Sala’s disappearance.
(Additional reporting: Reuters)
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Juventus win eighth successive Serie A title
- Monte Carlo Masters: Fognini stuns Nadal to reach final
- Jeffrey Schlupp's Afcon in doubt after ankle injury
- Tennis: McDan ITF World Tour launched
- Man City hold on against Tottenham to go top
- Monte Carlo Masters: Djokovic loses to Medvedev, Nadal into semi-finals
- #JoyFPL: Last double game week could save season
- Messi already deserves the next Ballon d'Or – Rivaldo
- AFCON 2019: Ghana's squad is 98% decided, says coach Kwesi Appiah
- 'It'll be tough but Liverpool can beat Barca' - Milner
- Ajax get Champions League boost as Eredivisie games postponed
- Superb Lacazette free-kick takes Arsenal into Europa League last four
- Chelsea hold off spirited Slavia Prague to reach Europa League semi-finals
- Monte Carlo Masters: Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal through
- Professional footballers to boycott social media for 24 hours in racism protest