Mohamed Salah's penalty extended Liverpool's lead at the top of the Premier League to seven points after a workmanlike display at Brighton.
Jurgen Klopp's side dominated with over 70% possession against their cagey hosts but created little until Salah was felled in the area by Pascal Gross.
The Egyptian duly lashed the spot-kick left-footed across his body and high into the net for a 17th goal of the season.
Brighton briefly rallied, with Fabinho - at the heart of Liverpool's defence for the injured Dejan Lovren - producing a key block to deny Gross in the area.
It helped Liverpool to a gritty win on a day they were far from their fluent best but comfortably lengthened their advantage in the title race, with third-placed Tottenham playing on Sunday and nearest rivals Manchester City not in action until Monday.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- ANALYSIS: Is it time for Kwesi Appiah's Black Stars to ditch playing 4-4-2?
- 2019 AFCON: Benin qualify as Adebayor's Togo go out
- Tanzania seal Afcon return after 39 years
- Appiah reveals reasons for Asamoah's no-show against Kenya
- First Ghana goal excites Caleb Ekuban
- Ghana 1-0 Kenya: Five things we learned
- Player Ratings: Ghana 1-0 Kenya
- 2019 Afcon qualifier: Ekuban debut goal saves Ghana's blushes
- U-23 Afcon qualifier: Ghana thrash Gabon 4-0 in first leg
- 2019 AFCON: Burundi seal historic qualification
- 2019 AFCON qualifier: Ghana vs Kenya preview
- Sterling bags hat-trick as England thrash Czech Republic
- Portugal draw blank against Ukraine on Ronaldo's return
- Messi returns but Argentina lose 3-1 to Venezuela
- Normalisation Committee to stay on another six months