Defending champion Caroline Wozniacki was knocked out of the Australian Open as five-time Grand Slam winner Maria Sharapova provided a reminder of her ability with a three-set win.
Russia's Sharapova, seeded 30th, hit 37 winners in a 6-4 4-6 6-3 victory to reach the fourth round.
Wozniacki, 28, led 4-1 in the first set, only to see Sharapova battle back.
The third seed broke in the final game of the second to level, Sharapova edging a tight third in Melbourne.
The 2008 Australian Open champion took her second match point to win in two hours and 24 minutes and set up a fourth-round meeting with Australia's Ashleigh Barty on Sunday.
"I thought the level was quite high. I knew I'd get a tough match," Sharapova, 31, said.
Danish world number three Wozniacki, defending the ranking points won in Melbourne last year, is set to slide down the standings as a result of the defeat.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Rafael Benitez to leave Newcastle United
- Ivory Coast v South Africa: kick-off time, team news, head-to-head, form and more
- AFCON 2019: Morocco coach blasts referee after he refuses water break in searing heat
- Tunisia v Angola kick-off time, team news, head-to-head, form and more
- AFCON 2019: Algeria earn comfortable win over Kenya
- Argentina beat Qatar 2-0 to qualify for Copa America last eight
- AFCON 2019: Senegal see off Tanzania in Mane's absence
- NC Special Cup: Kotoko beat Karela on penalties to lift trophy
- AFCON 2019: Morocco beat Namibia with late own goal
- Algeria v Kenya: Kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- Senegal v Tanzania: Kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- Morocco v Namibia: Kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- NC Special Cup: Can Karela United make history?
- Brazil crush Peru 5-0 to reach Copa America last eight
- AFCON 2019: Madagascar draw with Guinea on tournament debut