South African former footballer Marc Batchelor has been shot dead near his home in Johannesburg.
Batchelor played for Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates and Mamelodi Sundowns in South Africa.
"He was attacked by two men who were driving a motorbike," a police spokesman Col Lungelo Dlamini told South African Broadcasting Corporation.
"He was about to drive into his premises. The suspects shot several times at him."
Dlamini added: "He died inside the car and they drove away without taking anything.
"At this stage, we are still investigating what the motive for the attack was and these suspects have not yet been identified."
Dlamini also told eNCA news Batchelor was travelling with a gardener, who was unharmed.
"I am shocked to learn about the passing of former Kaizer Chiefs player Marc Batchelor," said the club's chairman Kaizer Motaung.
"On behalf of Kaizer Chiefs, I wish to express my deepest heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family, friends and the football fraternity. May his soul rest in eternal peace."
More Sports Headlines
- Ghanaian midfielder Godfred Donsah joins Cercle Brugge on loan
- Turkish company to construct Hearts of Oak’s Pobiman Academy
- Talking points from the Premier League weekend
- Talking points from the La Liga weekend
- Talking points from the Bundesliga weekend
- African Games: Derek Abrefa named Team Ghana captain
- Coutinho joins Bayern on loan from Barcelona
- Balotelli joins hometown club Brescia on free transfer
- Ashley Cole: Ex-Arsenal, Chelsea and England full-back retires
- Chelsea held by Leicester in Lampard's first home match
- Prof Dodoo re-elected as Ghana Athletics Association president for a third term
- Ghanaian John Manyo-Plange named Vice President of Basketball Africa League
- Guardiola: They have to fix VAR
- African Games: Black Satellites win opener against Burundi
- VAR denies Man City again against Spurs