World Cup winner Mats Hummels on Wednesday completed a move back to Borussia Dortmund after three years at German Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich.
The return to Dortmund for central defender Hummels, who played there between 2009 and 2016, was largely expected in recent weeks after both the player and the clubs hinted at a possible move.
And the deal was confirmed early on Tuesday afternoon.
Hummels was dropped from the German national team along with fellow 2014 world champions and Bayern players Thomas Mueller and Jerome Boateng in March as part of an overhaul.
He had also lost his automatic starting place at Bayern amid growing competition for a spot in central defence.
Hummels was part of the Dortmund team that won the league in 2011 and 2012 as well as the German Cup in 2012. He also reached the 2013 Champions League final with them where they lost to Bayern.
Dortmund, who were runners-up in the league last season, will compete in the Champions League group stage.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Herve Renard resigns as Morocco coach
- Sports Minister to brief parliament on AFCON2019
- Bale 'very close' to exit - Zinedine Zidane.
- AFCON 2019: The tournament of the underdog
- Man Utd reject Inter Milan's £54m Lukaku bid
- The #JoyAFCON Team of the Tournament
- Senegal 0-1 Algeria: Five things we learned
- Algeria win Africa Cup of Nations with fortuitous early goal
- Parliament: Sports Minister summoned to explain poor AFCON showing
- 'I'd swap Champions League medal for Afcon' - Mane
- BHOBU-POGA Health Walk slated for July 20
- Senegal v Algeria: kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- Ghana to face South Africa in AFCON 2021 qualifying
- Amaju Pinnick dismissed as Caf vice-president
- Mikel Obi retires from international football