Uganda began their Africa Cup of Nations campaign with a deserved win over DR Congo to move level on points with hosts Egypt at the top of Group A.
The Cranes' 23-year-old forward Patrick Kaddu opened the scoring, heading in from a corner after a well-timed run to the near post after 14 minutes.
Strike partner Emmanuel Okwi's glancing header from a free-kick then doubled the lead three minutes after half-time.
Egypt defeated Zimbabwe 1-0 in the tournament's opening match on Friday.
Kaddu had two great opportunities to add to his tally with first-half headers in Cairo, while team-mate Khalid Aucho saw a powerful long-range effort saved by DR Congo's Ley Matampi.
Substitute Jonathan Bolingi had the best opportunity for DR Congo - whose starting XI included West Ham's Arthur Masuaku and Everton's Yannick Bolasie - but the Antwerp forward's header struck the top of the crossbar.
Next, Uganda will face Zimbabwe on Wednesday, while DR Congo take on Egypt later that day.
Follow all the tournament games with #JoyAFCON. There’s live radio commentary on Joy 99.7FM, post-match programs on Joy FM, JoyNews TV (available via MultiTV Digibox and on DStv channel 421), Joy Prime (on DStv 281), analysis shows, and fan zones. Follow complete social media coverage on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram with @JoySportsGH.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Azumah pays tribute to former opponent Whitaker
- Pernell 'SweetPea' Whitaker, vanquisher of Azumah Nelson, dies in car accident
- Caf boss Ahmad paid expenses for same days but different countries
- Esperance and Wydad lodge Champions League appeals
- 'I am studying German' - Mourinho hints at Bundesliga interest
- AFCON 2019: Senegal to miss defender Kalidou Koulibaly in final
- AFCON 2019: Celebrations marred by violence after Algeria's semi-final win
- AFCON 2019: Mahrez scores late winner to put Algeria into final
- AFCON 2019: Senegal beat Tunisia after extra-time to reach final
- Novak Djokovic beats Roger Federer in Wimbledon final-set tie-break thriller
- 'Beating PSG 6-1 my best footballing memory' - Neymar fuels Barca comeback
- Senegal v Tunisia: kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- AFCON 2019: Military planes to fly Algeria fans to Cairo for Nigeria clash
- Agyemang-Badu joins Hellas Verona on loan
- Simona Halep beats Serena Williams to win Wimbledon title