The organising committee of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) has apologised for including the flag of a separatist movement in its official music video.
The flag for the self-styled Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (SADR) appeared on a map in the video.
A diplomatic row ensued.
Morocco does not recognise the SADR, which for years has been seeking independence for the territory known as Western Sahara.
Its independence is recognised by the African Union.
Government spokesperson Mustapha El Khalfi was quoted as saying it was "not possible to accept the violation of Moroccan territory... it is utterly unacceptable to hurt the national feelings of Moroccans", according to Hespress website.
The committee insisted in a statement that the mistake was unintentional, reports Al-Masry al-Youm news site.
The offending video was deleted from Afcon's YouTube channel and an amended video has been published.
Afcon kicked off on Friday night and is hosted in Egypt.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Zidane denies showing Bale disrespect
- Hearts of Oak decide against renewing Malik Akowuah's contract
- Ronaldo will not face charges over alleged rape
- Hearts of Oak release goalkeeper Ernest Sowah
- Chelsea defender Ethan Ampadu joins RB Leipzig on loan
- Betway Talent Search 2019: Desire FC win Northern Zone
- 'Zidane is a disgrace!' - Bale's agent slams Real Madrid boss
- Ghana Football Awards: Partey retains Footballer of the Year crown
- Pacquiao beats Thurman on points to take WBA Super welterweight title
- CAF Competitions: Kotoko set for Nigerian challenge and Ashgold get Equatoguinean opponents
- Herve Renard resigns as Morocco coach
- Sports Minister to brief parliament on AFCON2019
- Bale 'very close' to exit - Zinedine Zidane.
- AFCON 2019: The tournament of the underdog
- Man Utd reject Inter Milan's £54m Lukaku bid