Asante Kotoko are suspending their participation in the NC Special Cup tier 1 after the Normalisation Committee declined to change plans for the upcoming semi-final between the Porcupine Warriors and archrivals Hearts of Oak.
Kotoko finished second in Zone A while Hearts topped Zone B. Both teams have been scheduled to play a one-off semi-final at the Accra Sports Stadium later this month.
The Kumasi-based side is against the arrangement and have notified the Normalisation Committee to move the game to a neutral venue to avoid handing the Phobians a home advantage and also suggested a two-legged tie.
“We have pulled out of the Special Competition after a meeting with our Executive Chairman,” Kotoko’s management member Nana Kwame Dankwah confirmed to FootballMadeInGhana.com on Monday.
“We have written to the NC explaining our position and why the game must be played at a neutral venue so that the proceeds will be shared equally.
“None of the regulations specify that the team that tops their group shall play at home. So we have pulled out,” he said.
Kotoko could become the third team to abandon the competition after Techiman City FC and Wa All Stars.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- AFCON 2019: Cameroon's Joel Tagueu ruled out of tournament with heart defect
- Prof. Wallace writes: Black Stars' pre-tournament 'goal drought'; a cause for concern?
- Ghana v Benin: Kick-off time, team news, head-to-head, form and more
- AFCON 2019: Djalma secures crucial point for Angola against Tunisia
- AFCON 2019: Asamoah Gyan set for another milestone
- AFCON 2019: Tunisian to referee Ghana’s clash with Benin
- AFCON 2019: Kodjia strike sees Ivory Coast scrape past South Africa
- Rafael Benitez to leave Newcastle United
- Ivory Coast v South Africa: kick-off time, team news, head-to-head, form and more
- AFCON 2019: Morocco coach blasts referee after he refuses water break in searing heat
- Tunisia v Angola kick-off time, team news, head-to-head, form and more
- AFCON 2019: Algeria earn comfortable win over Kenya
- Argentina beat Qatar 2-0 to qualify for Copa America last eight
- AFCON 2019: Senegal see off Tanzania in Mane's absence
- NC Special Cup: Kotoko beat Karela on penalties to lift trophy