Ghana coach Kwesi Appiah has invited Asante Kotoko trio Kwame Bonsu, Amos Frimpong and Felix Annan for the final 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers against Kenya in Accra.
The Black Stars will host the Harambee Stars on March 23 with the two sides already qualified for the continental showpiece in Egypt.
For Bonsu and Frimpong, this is their first call-up into the Black Stars while Annan returns to the team after being left out of previous games.
The three players have shown great form in Asante Kotoko’s impressive run in this year’s Caf Confederation Cup campaign.
Bonsu, especially, has been the toast of fans with his assured performances in Kotoko's midfield. The midfielder has managed to resurrect his career in Ghana, having had his contract terminated in Sweden after spending a year in jail for allegedly assaulting his partner in 2015.
Also, Caleb Ekuban, Joseph Aidoo and Ernest Asante have been handed debut call-ups while Kwesi Appiah makes a return to the squad after a long absence.
However, there is no place for all-time top scorer and captain Asamoah Gyan.
Black Stars will begin camping for the match on March 18.
Kwesi Appiah’s 24-man squad for Kenya qualifier
Goalkeepers: Richard Ofori (Martizburg, South Africa) Lawrence Ati (Sochaux, France), Felix Annan (Asante Kotoko, Ghana)
Defenders: Kwadwo Asamoah (Inter Milan, Italy) Lumor Agbenyenu ( Göztepe S.K, Turkey) Andy Yiadom (Reading Football Club, England) Amos Frimpong (Asante Kotoko, Ghana) Nuhu Kassim (1899 Hoffenheim, Germany) Nicholas Opoku (Udinese, Italy) John Boye (Metz,France) Joseph Aidoo (Genk, Belgium)
Midfielders: Andre Ayew ( Fenerbahçe S.K, Turkey) Mubarak Wakaso (Alaves, Spain) Christian Atsu (Newcastle, England) Kwame Bonsu (Asante Kotoko, Ghana) Ernest Asante ( Al Jazira, UAE) Thomas Partey (Atlético Madrid) Alhassan Wakaso ( Vitória S.C, Portugal) Jeffery Schlupp ( Crystal Palace, England), Alfred Duncan (Sassuolo, Italy)
Forward: Caleb Ansah Ekuban(Trabzonspor, Turkey) Jordan Ayew (Crystal Palace) Emmanuel Boateng (Dalian Yifang, China) Kwasi Appiah (AFC Wimbledon, UK).
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Godfred Dame set to be Ghana gov't rep on new Fifa Task Force
- Pogba buys World Cup championship rings for entire France team
- Real Madrid a dream club but I'm happy at Man Utd, says Pogba
- Coca-Cola to sponsor 15 lucky consumers to watch EPL games
- Four persons accused by Gyan of extortion acquitted
- ANDOH: After 6 months of a disappointing Normalization Committee, more questions than answers
- Paa Kwesi Fabin appointed coach of Uganda's youth teams
- Kofi Amoah to stay in new look Fifa Normalisation Committee, 3 others to leave
- PSG win legal battle with UEFA over FFP investigation
- Opare replaces Yiadom in Black Stars squad to face Kenya
- Xavi says 48-team Qatar World Cup would be too long
- Hudson-Odoi 'shocked' to receive first England call-up
- Ronaldo charged by UEFA over goal celebration
- CAF Rankings: Ghana gains one coefficient point after Kotoko campaign
- Messi humbled by Betis fans' standing ovation