Ghana coach Kwesi Appiah has invited Asante Kotoko trio Kwame Bonsu, Amos Frimpong and Felix Annan for the final 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers against Kenya in Accra.
The Black Stars will host the Harambee Stars on March 23 with the two sides already qualified for the continental showpiece in Egypt.
For Bonsu and Frimpong, this is their first call-up into the Black Stars while Annan returns to the team after being left out of previous games.
The three players have shown great form in Asante Kotoko’s impressive run in this year’s Caf Confederation Cup campaign.
Bonsu, especially, has been the toast of fans with his assured performances in Kotoko's midfield. The midfielder has managed to resurrect his career in Ghana, having had his contract terminated in Sweden after spending a year in jail for allegedly assaulting his partner in 2015.
Also, Caleb Ekuban, Joseph Aidoo and Ernest Asante have been handed debut call-ups while Kwesi Appiah makes a return to the squad after a long absence.
However, there is no place for all-time top scorer and captain Asamoah Gyan.
Black Stars will begin camping for the match on March 18.
Kwesi Appiah’s 24-man squad for Kenya qualifier
Goalkeepers: Richard Ofori (Martizburg, South Africa) Lawrence Ati (Sochaux, France), Felix Annan (Asante Kotoko, Ghana)
Defenders: Kwadwo Asamoah (Inter Milan, Italy) Lumor Agbenyenu ( Göztepe S.K, Turkey) Andy Yiadom (Reading Football Club, England) Amos Frimpong (Asante Kotoko, Ghana) Nuhu Kassim (1899 Hoffenheim, Germany) Nicholas Opoku (Udinese, Italy) John Boye (Metz,France) Joseph Aidoo (Genk, Belgium)
Midfielders: Andre Ayew ( Fenerbahçe S.K, Turkey) Mubarak Wakaso (Alaves, Spain) Christian Atsu (Newcastle, England) Kwame Bonsu (Asante Kotoko, Ghana) Ernest Asante ( Al Jazira, UAE) Thomas Partey (Atlético Madrid) Alhassan Wakaso ( Vitória S.C, Portugal) Jeffery Schlupp ( Crystal Palace, England), Alfred Duncan (Sassuolo, Italy)
Forward: Caleb Ansah Ekuban(Trabzonspor, Turkey) Jordan Ayew (Crystal Palace) Emmanuel Boateng (Dalian Yifang, China) Kwasi Appiah (AFC Wimbledon, UK).
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany to leave after 11 years
- Deontay Wilder knocks out Dominic Breazeale in first round to defend title
- Manchester City win FA Cup to secure historic domestic football treble
- AFCON 2019: Why Asamoah Gyan must be sacrificed for the future
- Robben, Ribery strike in perfect farewell as Bayern seal Bundesliga title in style
- 'Bribed' referees who handled Ashgold-Kotoko clash banned temporarily
- Guardiola relaxed over UEFA probe into Manchester City
- Allegri to leave Juventus this summer
- ANALYSIS: Only these players from Ghana's 2017 AFCON team should go to Egypt. [Infographic]
- Wafu Women's Cup: Ghana fail to reach final after Nigeria defeat
- Asantehene calls for golf support
- Solskjaer will get financial backing to 'create success' at Man United
- Thomas Partey could join Inter, claims agent
- Man City referred to UEFA judicial chamber over alleged FFP breaches
- FIFA seeks a billion World Cup viewers to boost women's game