Ghanaian midfielder, Michael Essien been offered a deal to play as well as work as a coaching staff for Sabail FC in Azerbaijan.
Essien, who left Indonesian side Persip Bandung last year, signed a 15 month deal with the club until May 2020.
The former Chelsea and AC Milan star has taken up the opportunity to play for the European team and to also join the club’s U-19 coaching staff to acquire coaching experience as part of his journey to taking up a career in the dugout.
Essien, 36, will join his new teammates after the international break and play till the end of the season then restart next season.
He will also assist U19 coaching team for his experience as part of completing his UEFA B qualification, a continuation of the coaching work he has been doing with Chelsea U16.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Ronaldo charged by UEFA over goal celebration
- CAF Rankings: Ghana gains one coefficient point after Kotoko campaign
- Messi humbled by Betis fans' standing ovation
- CAF CC: Akonnor refuses to blame lack of football activity for early exit
- Incredible Messi hat-trick earns standing ovation from Betis fans
- Inter edge Milan derby in five-goal thriller
- SCOREBOARD: Results from top European leagues
- CAF CC: Asante Kotoko suffer group stage exit
- Atletico-Barca clash sets attendance record for women's club game
- Keerapa Active to construct ultra-modern football facility in Sogakope
- Juventus suffer first league defeat of the season at Genoa
- Wolves stun Man United in FA Cup quarterfinals
- Man City come from two goals down to reach FA Cup last four
- Isco and Bale get Zidane's second coming off to winning start
- Dalex Swift Hoops lights up Pent Hall Week celebration