Ghanaian midfielder, Michael Essien been offered a deal to play as well as work as a coaching staff for Sabail FC in Azerbaijan.
Essien, who left Indonesian side Persip Bandung last year, signed a 15 month deal with the club until May 2020.
The former Chelsea and AC Milan star has taken up the opportunity to play for the European team and to also join the club’s U-19 coaching staff to acquire coaching experience as part of his journey to taking up a career in the dugout.
Essien, 36, will join his new teammates after the international break and play till the end of the season then restart next season.
He will also assist U19 coaching team for his experience as part of completing his UEFA B qualification, a continuation of the coaching work he has been doing with Chelsea U16.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Ghana does not belong to Asamoah Gyan, he can go – Grunsah
- Arsenal's Mkhitaryan to miss Europa League final due to security concerns
- André Ayew set to be named new Ghana captain
- Kwesi Appiah forced Gyan to retire - Asamoah’s Aide
- Highlights: Asamoah Gyan, 16 years a Black Star [Video + infographic]
- Manner of Gyan's retirement reveals true, fractured state of Black Stars
- Asamoah Gyan retires from Black Stars
- Ghana can end AFCON drought with TB Joshua's help - Richard Kingson
- Why African players are dominating European leagues
- Bolivian referee dies after collapsing during match
- Kofi Addo-Agyekum grateful to SWAG
- 'Quality not enough' to win Afcon - Thomas Partey
- Guardiola: 'Incredible' treble not enough for Man City without Champions League
- Real Madrid midfielder Kroos extends contract until 2023
- NC Special Cup: Yacouba returns to inspire Kotoko to victory, Hearts confirm top spot in Premier B