The first ever African Beach Games slated for the island of Cape Verde is set to commence from the 14- 23 June 2019.
Beach Soccer would be the headline sport for this event.
SAL 2019 is the first ever game of its kind anywhere in the world and Africa is the proud host continent with several countries expected to participate in the two weeks tournament based solely on sand.
According to the press officer for team Ghana, Baaba Tando, a final list of athletes along with the confirmed disciplines would be submitted to the organizers in the coming days.
The host city, SAL, has been selected because Cape Verde intends to launch its international tourism campaign using sports as an attraction.
Beach Soccer would be the headline of a total of 11 disciplines to be staged at the event.
The other sports include beach volley, beach handball, open water swimming, coastal rowing, karate kata, freestyle football, kiteboarding and new sports such as beach tennis, beach basketball, and beach athletics.
The games which are under the Ghana Olympic Committee supervision has given Ghana the opportunity to present at most 85 athletes cutting across the 11 selected disciplines for the tournament.
The GOC has had a series of meetings with the heads of the various sports federations to put in place a strategic preparation schedule for the tournament as well as decide which disciplines Ghana would participate in during the tournament.
It is imperative that Ghana puts its best foot forward to afford the nation medal opportunities at the Games.
Sal, one of the 10 islands of the Cape Verde archipelago situated 460km due west of Senegal, is an island of year-round sun, blue azure sea, and vast white sand beaches.
It is these features that made the island the perfect location for the 1st African Beach Games.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Manchester City win FA Cup to secure historic domestic football treble
- AFCON 2019: Why Asamoah Gyan must be sacrificed for the future
- Robben, Ribery strike in perfect farewell as Bayern seal Bundesliga title in style
- 'Bribed' referees who handled Ashgold-Kotoko clash banned temporarily
- Guardiola relaxed over UEFA probe into Manchester City
- Allegri to leave Juventus this summer
- ANALYSIS: Only these players from Ghana's 2017 AFCON team should go to Egypt. [Infographic]
- Wafu Women's Cup: Ghana fail to reach final after Nigeria defeat
- Asantehene calls for golf support
- Solskjaer will get financial backing to 'create success' at Man United
- Thomas Partey could join Inter, claims agent
- Man City referred to UEFA judicial chamber over alleged FFP breaches
- FIFA seeks a billion World Cup viewers to boost women's game
- NC Special Cup: Kotoko end winless run as Hearts qualify for semi-finals
- Black Stars technical team donates to Teshie Children's Home