A 44-year-old Manchester United fan was stabbed in Paris after the club's dramatic win over Paris St-Germain on Wednesday.
The Foreign Office confirmed it was in contact with the French authorities over the incident.
United completed a remarkable comeback victory over PSG at the Parc des Princes to reach the Champions League quarter-finals.
The fan has had emergency surgery after being stabbed in the chest.
He is being treated at the Georges Pompidou European Hospital in Paris but is expected to be released on Sunday or Monday.
"We are in touch with the French authorities following an incident involving a British man in Paris on 6 March and stand ready to offer assistance if required," the Foreign Office said in a statement.
"We were shocked to hear about the incident with one of our fans who was stabbed while in Paris for the Champions League game," a Manchester United spokesperson said.
"Everyone at the club wishes him well during his recovery."
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Messi haunted by Liverpool defeat
- Kanoute's attempt to give Seville its first purpose-built mosque in 700 years
- Kwesi Appiah names Andre Ayew as new Black Stars captain
- Keita set to miss Champions League final but could be ready for Guinea
- PSG boss Al-Khelaifi charged with athletics corruption
- Antonio Conte set to take charge at Inter Milan
- NC Special Cup: Kotoko qualify for semi-finals
- Prof. Wallace writes: The role of Governments in football
- Uganda FA part ways with Paa Kwesi Fabin after two months
- Sarri to discuss Chelsea future after Europa League final
- Fifa drops plans to expand 2022 World Cup to 48 teams
- Ghana's 2019 Afcon squad: Five players snubbed by Kwesi Appiah
- Four times Black Stars players retired, then came back
- AFCON 2019: Gyan named in Black Stars provisional squad
- VAR has been a success in La Liga, say Spanish referees