A chain of thrilling bouts characterized the McDan Amateur Boxing Independence Day edition in Tamale on March 6.
The fight night is a brainchild of the McDan Foundation in collaboration with Twellium Foundation drew thousands of people from the northern regional capital. The event which is the first in the series of fights in the region climaxed Ghana's 62nd independence anniversary celebration.
CEO of McDan Group, Dr. Daniel McKorley after the bouts expressed great satisfaction about the demonstration of quality boxing by the boxers.
"We will raise champions from this region, the youth here are strong and tough in character, what they need is the technical know-how and infrastructure. Plans are underway to construct a gym in the region to produce more champions," said Dr. McKorley.
And per juvenile boxing rules, all the three bouts involving Joseph Mensah versus Elisha Mensah, Emmanuel Mawuli versus Emmanuel Commodore and Amadu Mohammed versus Theophilus Amarquaye ended in majority draws.
In the amateur division, Mohammed Fuseini overpowered Prince Amarquaye with a 3-0 result in the elite division, with Sule Mohammed also recording a 3-0 over Michael Dadzie. Abraham Mensah defeated Bernard Ankrah with a 2-1 result.
Odartey Lamptey surrendered 1-2 to Moses Adjei, while overall best boxer Mohammed Aryettey dominated Philip Ajum with a 3-0.
Africanus Neequaye handed Eric Asante a 2-1 win, while Gabriel Coffie defeated Stephen Coffie with a 2-1 result.
Akai Nettey stopped Ebenezer Korlibie with a technical knock out.
All the boxers left the Jubilee Park with special cash prizes, medals, and products from Twellium Foundation.
The president of the Ghana Boxing Federation (GBF), George Lamptey, expressed satisfaction about the quality of boxing and thanked Sponsors-McDan.
Foundation (Title sponsor) and Twellium Foundation for putting together the event. "We will do a lot as a regulatory body to help McDan acjieve the aim of raising champions from all three northern regions," he said.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Appiah reveals reasons for Asamoah's no-show against Kenya
- First Ghana goal excites Caleb Ekuban
- Ghana 1-0 Kenya: Five things we learned
- Player Ratings: Ghana 1-0 Kenya
- 2019 Afcon qualifier: Ekuban debut goal saves Ghana's blushes
- U-23 Afcon qualifier: Ghana thrash Gabon 4-0 in first leg
- 2019 AFCON: Burundi seal historic qualification
- 2019 AFCON qualifier: Ghana vs Kenya preview
- Sterling bags hat-trick as England thrash Czech Republic
- Portugal draw blank against Ukraine on Ronaldo's return
- Messi returns but Argentina lose 3-1 to Venezuela
- Normalisation Committee to stay on another six months
- [Infographic + video]: Why Kwesi Appiah may have no choice than to select benchwarmers
- Juventus say choosing Asia over U.S. for ICC not related to Ronaldo rape allegation
- Bijou Homes sponsors finals of 2019 Ghana Rugby Football Championship