A chain of thrilling bouts characterized the McDan Amateur Boxing Independence Day edition in Tamale on March 6.
The fight night is a brainchild of the McDan Foundation in collaboration with Twellium Foundation drew thousands of people from the northern regional capital. The event which is the first in the series of fights in the region climaxed Ghana's 62nd independence anniversary celebration.
CEO of McDan Group, Dr. Daniel McKorley after the bouts expressed great satisfaction about the demonstration of quality boxing by the boxers.
"We will raise champions from this region, the youth here are strong and tough in character, what they need is the technical know-how and infrastructure. Plans are underway to construct a gym in the region to produce more champions," said Dr. McKorley.
And per juvenile boxing rules, all the three bouts involving Joseph Mensah versus Elisha Mensah, Emmanuel Mawuli versus Emmanuel Commodore and Amadu Mohammed versus Theophilus Amarquaye ended in majority draws.
In the amateur division, Mohammed Fuseini overpowered Prince Amarquaye with a 3-0 result in the elite division, with Sule Mohammed also recording a 3-0 over Michael Dadzie. Abraham Mensah defeated Bernard Ankrah with a 2-1 result.
Odartey Lamptey surrendered 1-2 to Moses Adjei, while overall best boxer Mohammed Aryettey dominated Philip Ajum with a 3-0.
Africanus Neequaye handed Eric Asante a 2-1 win, while Gabriel Coffie defeated Stephen Coffie with a 2-1 result.
Akai Nettey stopped Ebenezer Korlibie with a technical knock out.
All the boxers left the Jubilee Park with special cash prizes, medals, and products from Twellium Foundation.
The president of the Ghana Boxing Federation (GBF), George Lamptey, expressed satisfaction about the quality of boxing and thanked Sponsors-McDan.
Foundation (Title sponsor) and Twellium Foundation for putting together the event. "We will do a lot as a regulatory body to help McDan acjieve the aim of raising champions from all three northern regions," he said.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Messi haunted by Liverpool defeat
- Kanoute's attempt to give Seville its first purpose-built mosque in 700 years
- Kwesi Appiah names Andre Ayew as new Black Stars captain
- Keita set to miss Champions League final but could be ready for Guinea
- PSG boss Al-Khelaifi charged with athletics corruption
- Antonio Conte set to take charge at Inter Milan
- NC Special Cup: Kotoko qualify for semi-finals
- Prof. Wallace writes: The role of Governments in football
- Uganda FA part ways with Paa Kwesi Fabin after two months
- Sarri to discuss Chelsea future after Europa League final
- Fifa drops plans to expand 2022 World Cup to 48 teams
- Ghana's 2019 Afcon squad: Five players snubbed by Kwesi Appiah
- Four times Black Stars players retired, then came back
- AFCON 2019: Gyan named in Black Stars provisional squad
- VAR has been a success in La Liga, say Spanish referees