Asamoah Gyan will not feature for the Black Stars at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations after recusing himself from senior national team duty.
In a statement, he also mentions that he has retired.
The 33-year-old was expected to lead the Black Stars in their bid to end their 37-year wait for the Afcon trophy in Egypt but has decided to rule himself out.
Gyan suggests he has been asked by head coach Kwesi Appiah to relinquish the captaincy and serve in a different capacity ahead of the tournament.
Asamoah Gyan is Ghana’s all-time top scorer with 51 goals since his debut in 2003.
The Kayserispor ace is also Africa’s leading top scorer at the World Cup with six goals in three tournaments.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- AFCON 2019: Black Stars XI v Benin - Kwadwo Asamoah benched
- AFCON 2019: Can Ghana win? Kinna Likimani doubts
- AL-SMITH: The Black Stars patriotism, under scrutiny, demands an emphatic answer
- Cameroon v Guinea-Bissau: Kick-off time, team news, head-to-head, form and more
- Afcon 2019: Ayew optimistic about Ghana victory against Benin today
- Ghana v Benin: Kick-off time, team news, head-to-head, form and more
- AFCON 2019: Mali dominant in win against Mauritania
- Jordan Ayew, the stagnation of a one-time Ghana prodigy
- AFCON 2019: Cameroon's Joel Tagueu ruled out of tournament with heart defect
- Prof. Wallace writes: Black Stars' pre-tournament 'goal drought'; a cause for concern?
- AFCON 2019: Djalma secures crucial point for Angola against Tunisia
- AFCON 2019: Asamoah Gyan set for another milestone
- AFCON 2019: Tunisian to referee Ghana’s clash with Benin
- AFCON 2019: Kodjia strike sees Ivory Coast scrape past South Africa
- Rafael Benitez to leave Newcastle United