Asamoah Gyan will not feature for the Black Stars at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations after recusing himself from senior national team duty.
In a statement, he also mentions that he has retired.
The 33-year-old was expected to lead the Black Stars in their bid to end their 37-year wait for the Afcon trophy in Egypt but has decided to rule himself out.
Gyan suggests he has been asked by head coach Kwesi Appiah to relinquish the captaincy and serve in a different capacity ahead of the tournament.
Asamoah Gyan is Ghana’s all-time top scorer with 51 goals since his debut in 2003.
The Kayserispor ace is also Africa’s leading top scorer at the World Cup with six goals in three tournaments.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Hearts v Kotoko tactics: How Phobians can beat marginally superior Porcupines
- Copa America: Martinez cracker helps Colombia past Argentina
- Ukraine win Under-20 World Cup with final win over South Korea
- 2019 AFCON: Sadio Mane suspended for Senegal's opening match
- 'I wish team well in Egypt' – Majeed Waris backs Ghana despite omission
- 2019 AFCON: Ghana end pre-tourney prep with goalless South Africa draw
- Ghana set for World Minigolf Cup in Sweden
- Argentina impressed by Messi's desire to end trophy heartache
- Chelsea would have to pay Derby £4m to secure Lampard as boss
- Multimedia secures radio rights for TOTAL AFCON2019 coverage
- NBA Finals: Toronto Raptors beat Golden State Warriors to win first title
- Chelsea agree deal for Maurizio Sarri to join Juventus
- Women's World Cup: Marta has record to rival Brazil legends Ronaldo and Pele
- Hazard unveiled to Real Madrid fans – ‘I’m here to win titles’
- 2019 AFCON: Algeria drops player for exposing 'buttocks' in video