Captain of the national football team Asamoah Gyan has rescinded his decision to pull out of the squad ahead of another African football campaign in Egypt.
Ghana’s record goal-scoring forward explained it was the President, Nana Akufo-Addo who prevailed on him to do the u-turn following an interaction.
Asamoah Gyan, only 48 hours ago cited a looming decision to strip him of the captaincy of the team he has led for at least four years - something he felt slighted by.
Andre Dede Ayew, a former English Premier League star was said to be named his successor.
Gyan’s decision caused a predictable stir and chattering on social media along with several discussions on sports analysis programs.
There were concerns the announcement amplifies division within the squad and resurrected questions about the coach’s hold on the team.
Others felt, Gyan’s decision smacked of pampered player’s pride and a footballer’s version of an insatiable hold of power typical of African leaders.
The 51-goals scorer for the Black Stars now says in a statement issued Wednesday, “A presidential request is one that cannot be disregarded” before concluding “I will make myself available for selection by coach Kwesi Appiah.”
The 33-year old Asamoah Gyan is set on a hat-trick of “pull-outs” cum retirements after first announcing an “indefinite break” following a failed African Cup of Nations in 2012.
He would return on May 2018. His latest exit and return marks an anniversary of his decision to stay out of the Black Stars.
Coach Kwesi Appiah is expected to name a 29-man squad for AFCON 2019 and Gyan, a 2010 BBC African Footballer of the Year could now be in the frame to add to his 106 appearances for the senior national team.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Afcon 2019: Benin restores parity; John Boye sees red
- AFCON 2019: Cameroon too strong for Guinea-Bissau
- AFCON 2019: Why this may be Ghana's best yet
- AFCON 2019: Black Stars XI v Benin - Kwadwo Asamoah benched
- AFCON 2019: Can Ghana win? Kinna Likimani doubts
- AL-SMITH: The Black Stars patriotism, under scrutiny, demands an emphatic answer
- Cameroon v Guinea-Bissau: Kick-off time, team news, head-to-head, form and more
- Afcon 2019: Ayew optimistic about Ghana victory against Benin today
- Ghana v Benin: Kick-off time, team news, head-to-head, form and more
- AFCON 2019: Mali dominant in win against Mauritania
- Jordan Ayew, the stagnation of a one-time Ghana prodigy
- AFCON 2019: Cameroon's Joel Tagueu ruled out of tournament with heart defect
- Prof. Wallace writes: Black Stars' pre-tournament 'goal drought'; a cause for concern?
- AFCON 2019: Djalma secures crucial point for Angola against Tunisia
- AFCON 2019: Asamoah Gyan set for another milestone