The only Ghanaian in the main draw of the ongoing Mcdan ITF World Tour Japheth Bagerbaseh has crashed out.
Bagerbaseh could not make it to the second round as he was stopped by number six seed, William Bushamuka of USA in a match played on Thursday at the Accra Sports Stadium Center court.
The homeboy, Bagerbaseh could not match the firepower of the experienced US-based Bushamuka, as he lost in two straight sets of 0-6,3-6.
In the other singles game: Tournament No.1 Benjamin Lock of Zimbabwe advanced into the quarterfinals after outwitting Curaçao’s Michael-John Every 6-3,6-1. Namibia’s Tukhula Jacobs also eased past Italy’s Andre Bassire 7-5,6-1.
No. 7 seed Niklas Johansson from Sweden failed to make it to the quarterfinals as he bowed to Portugal's Andre Gaspar Murta in a game that ended 4-6,6-1,7-6(2). No.4 seed Mehluli Don Ayanda Sibanda from Zimbabwe defeated Philippines' Jurence Zosimo Mendoza 6-4,7-6-9). No.3 seed from Ukraine; Eric Vanshelboim also ousted Nigeria’s Joseph Imeh Uboh 7-6(3),2-0(r). No.2 seed Ryan James Storrie from Great Britain won 6-1,6-4 against Netherland’s Len Schouten.
In the doubles events, Benjamin Lock and his junior brother Courtney John Lock showed their superiority over Ghanaian duo Bernard Ashitey Armah and Johnson Acquah. The Lock brothers from Zimbabwe won 6-2,6-0.
Japheth Bagerbaseh and Daniel Quartey could not stand the test as they lost 2-6,0-6 to Portugal's Andre Gaspar Murta and Ukraine’s Oleg Knotkov. Benjamin Fumi and Benjamin Palm also got knockout by Great Britain’s Darryl Hale and Sweden’s Niklas Johansson in a game that ended 3-6,4-6.
In other doubles games, Zimbabwe’s Mehluli Don Ayanda Sibanda and Great Britain’s Ryan James Storrie surpassed Italian brothers Andre Bessire and Francesco Bessire 6-2,6-3.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Valencia win Copa del Rey to end Barcelona's double dream
- Full list of winners at 2019 Joy Sports Invitational
- Sapholda Ventures crowned champions of Joy Sports Invitational 2019
- Black Stars captaincy rift triggers 'bring back Stephen Appiah spirit'
- Gyan urged to decline Black Stars 'General Captain' post
- Live: Joy Sports Invitational 2019 updates
- Joy AFCON Podcast Ep 4: Gyan & Ayew + analysis of Appiah's 29-man squad
- Messi haunted by Liverpool defeat
- Kanoute's attempt to give Seville its first purpose-built mosque in 700 years
- Kwesi Appiah names Andre Ayew as new Black Stars captain
- Keita set to miss Champions League final but could be ready for Guinea
- PSG boss Al-Khelaifi charged with athletics corruption
- Antonio Conte set to take charge at Inter Milan
- NC Special Cup: Kotoko qualify for semi-finals
- Prof. Wallace writes: The role of Governments in football