WAFA preserved their unbeaten record in the Normalisation Committee Special Cup with a 3-2 win over Hearts of Oak in Sogakope on Sunday.
The Academy Boys, as a result, have taken over the top spot in Zone B. WAFA made a bright start and deservedly took the lead in the 12th minute when Jamal Haruna connected into the roof of the net from an acute angle.
However, Heats captain Fatawu Mohammed restored parity before halftime.
After the break, Hearts of Oak looked better and dominant but WAFA were more purposeful upfront. They scored two goals through Lomotey and Bortey Acquaye before the 58th minute to make it 3-1.
The Phobians reduced the deficit with less than ten minutes on the clock when Christopher Bonney converted a spot kick.
In Tema, Isaac Donkor was the unsung hero Ebusua Dwarfs stunned Inter Allies 1-0 to end their winless run in the competition. The Cape Coast-based side had earned just one point from five games before Sunday.
At the Carl Reindorf Park in Dansoman, Simon Zibo scored in the first half to help Liberty Professionals overcome a stubborn Dreams FC side while Elmina Sharks overpowered Karela United 2-0.
Elsewhere in Zone A, Berekum Chelsea produced a spirited performance to earn their first win of the competition at the expense of AshantiGold. The only goal of the game was scored by Kwame Amoako Antwi in the 70th minute.
Aduana Stars were held to a shock 1-1 draw by Bechem United as Medeama moved to the second position on Zone A table with a slender 1-0 win over Eleven Wonders in Tarkwa.
STANDINGS AFTER MATCHDAY 6 IN NC SPECIAL CUP
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Afcon 2019: Ayew optimistic about Ghana victory against Benin today
- Ghana v Benin: Kick-off time, team news, head-to-head, form and more
- AFCON 2019: Mali dominant in win against Mauritania
- Jordan Ayew, the stagnation of a one-time Ghana prodigy
- AFCON 2019: Cameroon's Joel Tagueu ruled out of tournament with heart defect
- Prof. Wallace writes: Black Stars' pre-tournament 'goal drought'; a cause for concern?
- AFCON 2019: Djalma secures crucial point for Angola against Tunisia
- AFCON 2019: Asamoah Gyan set for another milestone
- AFCON 2019: Tunisian to referee Ghana’s clash with Benin
- AFCON 2019: Kodjia strike sees Ivory Coast scrape past South Africa
- Rafael Benitez to leave Newcastle United
- Ivory Coast v South Africa: kick-off time, team news, head-to-head, form and more
- AFCON 2019: Morocco coach blasts referee after he refuses water break in searing heat
- Tunisia v Angola kick-off time, team news, head-to-head, form and more
- AFCON 2019: Algeria earn comfortable win over Kenya