Luis Ortiz will not replace Jarrell Miller as world heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua's opponent on 1 June, the Cuban's promoter has said.
Joshua was due to fight Miller at New York's Madison Square Garden - the British fighter's US debut.
But Miller was denied a licence after an "adverse finding" from a sample taken on 20 March.
King Kong Boxing accused Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn of using Ortiz, 40, as a "gimmick".
"We just received news from promoter that it's a no-go and it was all a gimmick and Hearn's low-ball offers will not be accepted," wrote King Kong Boxing on Instagram.
"No contract even ever got sent so sorry to all the loyal fans. Luis really wanted this title shot."
A new opponent for IBF, WBA and WBO champion Joshua is expected to be announced this week, with Hearn having said the boxer's "preparations continue" and that eight boxers were being considered as Miller's replacement.
Among those under consideration and named by Hearn were Ortiz, Poland's Adam Kownacki and American Michael Hunter.
Ortiz has lost just once in 32 fights, against WBC champion Deontay Wilder in March 2018.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- AL-SMITH: The Black Stars patriotism, under scrutiny, demands an emphatic answer
- Cameroon v Guinea-Bissau: Kick-off time, team news, head-to-head, form and more
- Afcon 2019: Ayew optimistic about Ghana victory against Benin today
- Ghana v Benin: Kick-off time, team news, head-to-head, form and more
- AFCON 2019: Mali dominant in win against Mauritania
- Jordan Ayew, the stagnation of a one-time Ghana prodigy
- AFCON 2019: Cameroon's Joel Tagueu ruled out of tournament with heart defect
- Prof. Wallace writes: Black Stars' pre-tournament 'goal drought'; a cause for concern?
- AFCON 2019: Djalma secures crucial point for Angola against Tunisia
- AFCON 2019: Asamoah Gyan set for another milestone
- AFCON 2019: Tunisian to referee Ghana’s clash with Benin
- AFCON 2019: Kodjia strike sees Ivory Coast scrape past South Africa
- Rafael Benitez to leave Newcastle United
- Ivory Coast v South Africa: kick-off time, team news, head-to-head, form and more
- AFCON 2019: Morocco coach blasts referee after he refuses water break in searing heat