The Ghana Football Association Normalisation Committee has condemned the attack on referee Theresa Bremensu during the Women’s Special Competition semi-final clash between Prisons Ladies and Ampem Darkoa in Sunyani.
A supporter of Prison Ladies allegedly run onto the field after the match and beat up the referee for poor officiating.
The statement reads:
The GFA Normalization Committee has learnt with dismay the shameless attack on referee Theresa Bremensu, during the first leg semi-final match of the Women’s Special Competition between Prison Ladies and Ampem Darkoa Ladies in Sunyani at the weekend.
While expressing our commiseration to Referee Bremensu, the N.C would like to state that it does not condone any abuse; verbal or physical towards match officials and takes such attacks very seriously.
Albeit the Special Competition has not recorded any such appalling attacks, last weekend’s incident is of great bother.
The N.C would like to state that such acts of violence on referees are a drawback as we strive to Normalize Ghana football.
The NC reiterates Dr Kofi Amoah’s caution at the launch of the Special Competition that improvements in the GFA Statutes and Regulations as much as they are necessary would not in and by themselves absolve our football from illegalities, corruption, and uncivilized behaviors and undue aggression
Part of our nation’s ability to engender transformation in our football doesn’t have to do with regulation; it has to do with shaping attitudes, shaping cultures, increasing awareness and embracing our common humanity and purpose
Attacking a referee physically must be condemned by all and exorcised from all parts of our football
We would like to assure the general public that we will liaise with the police to ensure appropriate sanction is meted out to the perpetrator(s).
Meanwhile, Normalization Committee in accordance with the GFA Statute will refer the matter to the Disciplinary Committee of the GFA.
We will like to appeal to the football community to help safeguard the beautiful game.
Dan Kwaku Yeboah-Spokesperson, Normalization Committee
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- NC Special Cup: Yacouba returns to inspire Kotoko to victory, Hearts confirm top spot in Premier B
- Nadal defeats Djokovic in Italian Open final to win first title of year
- Barca held by Eibar despite Messi double
- Real Madrid end campaign with 12th league defeat
- Deontay Wilder knocks out Dominic Breazeale in first round to defend title
- Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany to leave after 11 years
- Manchester City win FA Cup to secure historic domestic football treble
- AFCON 2019: Why Asamoah Gyan must be sacrificed for the future
- Robben, Ribery strike in perfect farewell as Bayern seal Bundesliga title in style
- 'Bribed' referees who handled Ashgold-Kotoko clash banned temporarily
- Guardiola relaxed over UEFA probe into Manchester City
- Allegri to leave Juventus this summer
- ANALYSIS: Only these players from Ghana's 2017 AFCON team should go to Egypt. [Infographic]
- Wafu Women's Cup: Ghana fail to reach final after Nigeria defeat
- Asantehene calls for golf support