Three away goals in Cameroon handed Asante Kotoko the advantage after a 3-2 win over Coton Sport in the first leg of their CAF Confederation Cup playoff.
The Porcupine Warriors stun the host by taking a two-goal lead in the opening 30 minutes.
Emmanuel Gyamfi scored first with a composed finish in the 10th minute before Maxwell Baakoh struck a stunning effort from the edge of the box into Coto Sport net.
Coton Sport managed to pull a goal back four minutes to end of the first half courtesy skipper Kamilou Dauda who scored from the penalty spot.
However, five minutes into the second half the two-goal was restored. Abdul Fatawu pounced on a misplaced back pass to score for Kotoko.
Kotoko chose to sit back thereafter with the intention of soaking the pressure and hitting Coton Sport on the counter.
The strategy worked to a large extent until the 70th minute where Kamilou Dauda capitalized on a defensive mishap to score his second of the game.
Coton Sport, buoyed by the home fans went in search of the elusive equalizer by upping the ante up front but Kotoko defended well to claim the win.
The famous victory puts Kotoko in good stead to reach the group stage of Confederation Cup for the first leg in 10 years.
The second leg will take place in Kumasi next weekend.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Manchester City win FA Cup to secure historic domestic football treble
- AFCON 2019: Why Asamoah Gyan must be sacrificed for the future
- Robben, Ribery strike in perfect farewell as Bayern seal Bundesliga title in style
- 'Bribed' referees who handled Ashgold-Kotoko clash banned temporarily
- Guardiola relaxed over UEFA probe into Manchester City
- Allegri to leave Juventus this summer
- ANALYSIS: Only these players from Ghana's 2017 AFCON team should go to Egypt. [Infographic]
- Wafu Women's Cup: Ghana fail to reach final after Nigeria defeat
- Asantehene calls for golf support
- Solskjaer will get financial backing to 'create success' at Man United
- Thomas Partey could join Inter, claims agent
- Man City referred to UEFA judicial chamber over alleged FFP breaches
- FIFA seeks a billion World Cup viewers to boost women's game
- NC Special Cup: Kotoko end winless run as Hearts qualify for semi-finals
- Black Stars technical team donates to Teshie Children's Home