New Barcelona signing Kevin-Prince Boateng is excited about joining ‘one of the biggest clubs in the world’ but admitted he was ‘a bit sad’ to leave Sassuolo.
The Ghanaian has joined Barca on a loan deal for the remainder of the season with an €8m option to make the move permanent in summer, having spent six months at the Serie A club.
“I'm a bit sad because I'm leaving a professionally-run club in Sassuolo and it was hard to say goodbye to everybody today, even if Barcelona are one of the biggest clubs in the world,” Boateng told Sky Sport Italia, in quotes carried by ESPN FC.
“It was a testing day, but saying goodbye to my teammates, [sporting director Giovanni] Carnevali and the coach meant so much to me.
“I've got a lot of respect for this side and that is why I had to say my goodbyes in person.”
Boateng only joined Sassuolo in the summer and has scored four goals in 13 Serie A outings, recently playing in a more advanced role.
More Sports Headlines
- Guardiola: They have to fix VAR
- African Games: Black Satellites win opener against Burundi
- VAR denies Man City again against Spurs
- Kroos piledriver helps Real Madrid win at Celta but Modric sees red
- Mane and Firmino give Liverpol win at Southampton
- Dortmund crush Augsburg to set title marker in season opener
- Lacazette and Aubameyang give Arsenal the edge over sturdy Burnley
- Former Nigeria great Samson Siasia handed life ban by Fifa
- Aduriz, 38, scores stunning goal as Athletic Bilbao beat Barcelona
- Coutinho set for Bayern Munich loan move
- Ghana's Patrick Twumasi joins Turkish club on loan
- Skyy FC owner unhappy with Normalisation Committee's draft statutes
- Andre Ayew focused on Swansea amid transfer rumours
- Liverpool goalie could miss Southampton game after pitch invader injured his ankle
- Hazard out of Madrid season opener with thigh injury