Defender Musah Nuhu has been ruled out of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations tournament after suffering a knee injury during Black Stars training on Wednesday in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
The St Gallen star is one of five debutants named by Kwesi Appiah in the Black Stars 29-man provisional squad ahead of the tournament.
A statement on the Ghana FA website said: ''Switzerland based Ghanaian defender, Musah Nuhu, has been granted permission to travel back to Switzerland at the request of his club, St. Gallen
''Musah sustained an injury during Black Stars training last Wednesday.
''After an initial medical examination by the Black Stars medical team, Nuhu has been permitted to return to his club for further assessment. Nuhu will be accompanied by Team Psychologist, Dr Patrick Ofori.''
Musah departure means Ghana's provisional squad has been reduced to 28 ahead of the naming of the final 23-man squad.
The Black Stars are hoping to win their first Afcon trophy since 1982 in Egypt this year.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Bale 'very close' to exit - Zinedine Zidane.
- AFCON 2019: The tournament of the underdog
- Man Utd reject Inter Milan's £54m Lukaku bid
- The #JoyAFCON Team of the Tournament
- Senegal 0-1 Algeria: Five things we learned
- Algeria win Africa Cup of Nations with fortuitous early goal
- Parliament: Sports Minister summoned to explain poor AFCON showing
- 'I'd swap Champions League medal for Afcon' - Mane
- BHOBU-POGA Health Walk slated for July 20
- Senegal v Algeria: kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- Ghana to face South Africa in AFCON 2021 qualifying
- Amaju Pinnick dismissed as Caf vice-president
- Mikel Obi retires from international football
- A fifth “All-African Coaches” AFCON final
- Juventus sign De Ligt on five-year deal