Keerapa Active, a sports and recreation startup, has cut sod for the construction of a state-of-the-art football facility at Sogakope in the Volta Region of Ghana.
When completed, the facility will boast of a 5-a-side FIFA standard pitch with floodlights, over-head netting, fitness centre, sports classrooms and changing rooms.
According to the Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Keerapa Active, David Amekpor, the West African sports company was keen to step into new grounds by using crowdfunding to fund the building of the facility which he believes would help aspiring athletes realize their dreams, as well as help, organize other tournaments.
Image: Mr. David Amekpor(right)
Speaking at the sod-cutting ceremony, Mr. Amekpor said his outfit's decision to construct the facility with the aid of donors became necessary following athletes in the country usually practicing their skills under extremely poor conditions.
“The lack of access to professional grade facilities to young footballers and football teams is a serious problem. Keerapa Active wants to create an environment where avenues are made available for footballers in Ghana and which enables them to become stars”
Keerapa Active has launched a campaign to raise $50,000 out of the $100,000 required to construct the facility.
The long-term goal of Keerapa Active is to construct an ultra-modern football facility within every community in Ghana.
In March last year, Keerapa Active organized a 5-a-side football tournament to raise awareness and motivated the plans to have a high-quality sports and leisure facilities with the aim to organize a new tournament later this year.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- AFCON 2019: Ighalo hands Nigeria bronze
- Atletico Madrid sign Tottenham defender Kieran Trippier
- Kotoko midfielder Kwame Bonsu completes move to Esperance
- CAF adopts one-leg finals for club competitions
- Real Zaragoza sign Raphael Dwamena from Levante
- Caf expands Women's AFCON to 12 teams
- Tunisia v Nigeria: kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- Blatter labels Samoura's Caf move 'colonialist'
- Pernell Whitaker was unique - Eddie Pappoe
- #AFCON Offside: Ismailia, the beautiful city without V8 [Photos]
- Ghana Football Awards billboards hit town
- Marc Batchelor: South African former footballer shot dead
- Meeting to discuss start of 2019/20 league season called off
- AFCON 2019: Cameroon fire Seedorf after knockout failure
- AFCON 2019: This generation is better than mine - Aliou Cisse