Caleb Ekuban marked his debut with a goal as Ghana laboured to a 1-0 victory over Kenya on the final day of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier.
The Trabzonspor striker's goal proved crucial as Black Stars finish the series as group winners, two points above the Harambee Stars, who had already qualified before the match.
Black Stars had a good opportunity to break the deadlock in the 24th minute but Partey swept his close-range shot across the face of goal, with the net wide open.
In the 36th minute, Ayew scored but the goal was chalked off as the Fenerbahce man was adjudged by the referee to have fouled the shot-stopper before putting the ball at the back of the net.
On the stroke of half-time, Agbenyenu hit a shot across the face of goal but Ayew failed to connect from three yards.
The second half was keenly contested, resulting in no clear-cut chances for either side until the 82nd minute when Ekuban scored.
The Italian-born striker hit a first-time left-footed shot from just inside the box, the effort proving too strong for goalkeeper Matasi as the Black Stars secured a hard-fought 1-0 win in Accra.
More Sports Headlines
- Ghanaian midfielder Godfred Donsah joins Cercle Brugge on loan
- Turkish company to construct Hearts of Oak’s Pobiman Academy
- Talking points from the Premier League weekend
- Talking points from the La Liga weekend
- Talking points from the Bundesliga weekend
- African Games: Derek Abrefa named Team Ghana captain
- Coutinho joins Bayern on loan from Barcelona
- Balotelli joins hometown club Brescia on free transfer
- Ashley Cole: Ex-Arsenal, Chelsea and England full-back retires
- Chelsea held by Leicester in Lampard's first home match
- Prof Dodoo re-elected as Ghana Athletics Association president for a third term
- Ghanaian John Manyo-Plange named Vice President of Basketball Africa League
- Guardiola: They have to fix VAR
- African Games: Black Satellites win opener against Burundi
- VAR denies Man City again against Spurs