Asamoah Gyan will not feature for the Black Stars at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations after recusing himself from senior national team duty.
In a statement, he also mentions that he has retired.
The 33-year-old was expected to lead the Black Stars in their bid to end their 37-year wait for the Afcon trophy in Egypt but has decided to rule himself out.
Gyan suggests he has been asked by head coach Kwesi Appiah to relinquish the captaincy and serve in a different capacity ahead of the tournament.
Asamoah Gyan is Ghana’s all-time top scorer with 51 goals since his debut in 2003.
The Kayserispor ace is also Africa’s leading top scorer at the World Cup with six goals in three tournaments.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Zidane denies showing Bale disrespect
- Hearts of Oak decide against renewing Malik Akowuah's contract
- Ronaldo will not face charges over alleged rape
- Hearts of Oak release goalkeeper Ernest Sowah
- Chelsea defender Ethan Ampadu joins RB Leipzig on loan
- Betway Talent Search 2019: Desire FC win Northern Zone
- 'Zidane is a disgrace!' - Bale's agent slams Real Madrid boss
- Ghana Football Awards: Partey retains Footballer of the Year crown
- Pacquiao beats Thurman on points to take WBA Super welterweight title
- CAF Competitions: Kotoko set for Nigerian challenge and Ashgold get Equatoguinean opponents
- Herve Renard resigns as Morocco coach
- Sports Minister to brief parliament on AFCON2019
- Bale 'very close' to exit - Zinedine Zidane.
- AFCON 2019: The tournament of the underdog
- Man Utd reject Inter Milan's £54m Lukaku bid