Ghanaian boxer, Richard Commey says he misses his IBF lightweight title he lost to Teofimo Lopez Jr last year and would relish the opportunity for a rematch.
“I do miss my title,” Commey told Joy Sports. “It is the reason why I have the motivation to go and get it back.”
In mid-December 2019, Teofimo annihilated Commey in the second round to take Commey’s IBF lightweight world title in emphatic fashion at Madison Square Garden.
The 33-year-old was making a second defence of his title he won in February 2020, courtesy a second-round stoppage of Isa Chaniev.
The Ghanaian (29-3 26 KOs) first title defence was a success against Ray Beltran but his second attempt to hold on to the belt ended in a defeat he described as ‘accident’.
“I think I let down myself,” Azonto as he is affectionately called confessed. “The theory in boxing is that, when you get caught, you need to relax and recover but I failed to apply the known theory that’s where I really feel bad for myself.
“I know the theory and I didn’t apply it and that makes everything looks bad, but Anthony Joshua and Deontey Wilder have all suffered the same thing, so what is important for me is to come back strongly for my people by winning another title.
“It was an accident that I lost in that manner; accidents do happen in boxing.”
Lopez (15-0, 12 KOs), is scheduled to fight WBA, WBO and WBC titleholder Lomachenko (14-1, 10 KOs) in a unification bout on May 30, but it is unlikely that fight would happen due to COVID-19 pandemic.
Commey reveals Teofimo hinted at giving him a rematch and he would keep calling out for it to happen, though he is uncertain about it.
“Teofimo once mentioned he will give me a rematch if the opportunity presents itself. I am just praying and hoping that it does happen.
“This fight ended unexpectedly and if the opportunity for me to request for a rematch is available, why not? but I don’t think he will be willing to give me a rematch but if he does, I will be very grateful because I will be calling out, if he can hear me; Teofimo you can hear me out, if you’re willing to give me, please let’s do this again.” he pleaded.
Richard Commey’s return date is unknown just as that of the future of Lopez vs Lomachenko fight. He tells Joy Sports he would make an official request if he resumes and there is the window to fight Lopez.
“Yes I will [definitely make a request], but first of, I need to come back and if he doesn’t have anyone to fight yet, definitely I will be willing to put my request across and see if he can give it to me.
“At the moment the most important thing is for me come back, I am still rated number four so I think the future is bright and I will be a two time world champion soon. I have been out since I lost to Teofimo and I always have it at the back of my mind that I want to wipe out the tears of my people.”
Following the defeat to the American-Honduran, many suggested Commey could have held on to the belt for a while, but he has no regrets with the decision to fight him.
“I don’t regret fighting Teofimo Lopez,” said Commey. “I am a fighter and I fight whoever is in front of me. Going into the fight I had positive mind I was going to win but the opposite happened. Did Andy Ruiz knew he was going to knock out Anthony Joshua [in their first fight]. The answer is obviously no.”
Commey was scheduled to return to the ring in late June 2020 had it not been for COVID-19.