Other Sports

Ghana spank Nigeria

The Black Stars of Ghana proved too much of a game for the Super Eagles of Nigeria who they spanked 4:1 in their international friendly at Brentford’s Griffin Park, England on Tuesday night.

Second half goals by play maker Laryea Kingson, Sulley Muntari, and Junior Agogo put the Stars up to a comfortable 3:0 lead by the 59th minute.

However the Super Eagles pulled a goal back from the spot through Taye Taiwo in the 64th minute before substitute, Joe Tex Frimpong sealed the fate of the Eagles with the Stars fourth goal in the 73rd.

Ironically it was the Nigerians who started the game rather strongly and pressed early for goals, forcing a lunging save and a superb goalkeeping effort from goalkeeper Richard Kingson as early as the 40th seconds of the game.

A few more threats and Ghana managed to return the onslaught after five minutes as man-of-the-match Laryea Kingson directed a fine inswinger into the Super Eagles penalty box, however Asamoah Gyan failed to connect.

Laryea was on hand again with a left footer shot after seven minutes, missing the post narrowly. He was followed by Michael Essien, who broke free from his markers but was brought down for a wasted free kick.

The Super Eagles thereafter took control of the game and came close to scoring a couple of times, except Richard Kingson proved unbeatable or the efforts went wayward.

The Stars returned for the second half a rejuvenated side, taking off the faltering Habib Mohammed and introducing John Paintsil to the right full back position that saw Coach Claude Le Roy make a strategic swap, pushing Hans Adu Sarpei to the left of defence.

In the 49th minute, Asamoah Gyan latched unto a golden chance in front of the Super Eagles goal but he managed to squander it, and a clearance went only as far as Laryea Kingson who capped a night of splendid display with a low grounder to beat a sprawling Vincent Enyeama.

Three minutes later, Nigeria pressed for their own goal, and Osaze Odemwingie managed a scrappy scramble against Richard Kingson.

And when the ball returned into play, Sulley Muntari, who had played a rather quiet game on the night, managed to shrug off the challenge of two defenders and powered home on his favourite left foot for Ghana’s second goal.

Stephen Appiah, also enjoying a modest evening, could have added to the Stars tally in the 55th minute, but he pushed the ball once too many for a quick recovery of the Eagles defencemen.

But trouble was yet in the air for the Super Eagles as Junior Agogo managed to plant himself between two defenders to slot in Ghana’s third goal in the 59th minute from an Asamoah Gyan floated pass.

After the goal, Vincent Enyeama had to be persuaded back into the post to continue the match as he fumed at his weak defence, while fans of the Super Eagles stormed the field to demand an end to the humiliation.

When the game restarted, the Super Eagles were awarded a penalty which Taye Taiwo converted in the 65th minute.

But that appeared to be all the Nigerians could offer as the Ghanaians drew rings around them and at will too, culminating in the final goal which came from the foot of substitute Joe Tex Frimpong in the 73rd minute, scoring from a great pass by Stephen Appiah.

The win marked the Black Stars first over the Super Eagles in 15 years and 16th in 41 encounters. The Eagles have won 10 times with the remaining 15 ending in draws.

Black Stars line up: Richard Kingson, Hans Adu Sarpei, Habib Mohammed/John Paintsil (45th), John Mensah, Shilla Illiasu, Michael Essien/Francis Dickoh (87th), Laryea Kingson/Derek Asamoah (87th), Stephen Appiah/Eric Addo (83rd), Sulley Muntari, Asamoah Gyan and Junior Agogo.

Unused substitute: Sammy Adjei.