Actor Sir Patrick Stewart has spoken about his decision to become a patron of an organisation campaigning to legalise assisted suicide in the UK.
In an interview with the Sunday Times, the 70-year-old said the choice to have an assisted death “should be a right”.
“Should the time come for me… I would like there to be a choice I might make about how I die,” he continued.
His comments follow those of author Sir Terry Pratchett, who is to appear in a BBC documentary about assisted suicide.
“I believe everybody possessed of a debilitating and incurable disease should be allowed to pick the hour of their death,” said the 62-year-old, who was diagnosed with a form of Alzheimer’s in 2008.
News of the BBC Two programme, to be shown this summer, drew censure from the Care Not Killing organisation, which accused the BBC of “acting like a cheerleader for legalising assisted suicide”.
Both Sir Patrick and Sir Terry are patrons of Dignity in Dying, which campaigns for a change in the law on assisted dying for terminally ill, mentally competent adults.
Care Not Killing campaigns against any such change in legislation, promoting instead the provision of “more and better” palliative care.
In his interview, Sir Patrick said his mind had been made up following a heart procedure he underwent five years ago after being diagnosed with coronary heart disease.
He also mentioned a family friend who had been “driven to an extreme situation of ending their life in the most ghastly way”.
Last year a UK inquiry into the issue of assisted suicide was launched with funding from Sir Terry.
Chaired by former justice secretary Lord Falconer, the Commission on Assisted Dying is expected to publish its findings in December.
Best known for his role as Captain Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek: The Next Generation, Sir Patrick has also been seen in the X-Men films.
Later this year he will play Shylock in The Merchant of Venice as part of the Royal Shakespeare Company’s 50th birthday season.
- I will fail my ministry if I fail to be the best mum – Adwoa Safo
- Exclusive: Adwoa Safo speaks on family, NPP, absence from Parliament
- ‘I will never do that, I did not come to this country to do that’ – Education Minister denies misapplying $1.2 million
- Come and account for Covid-19 expenditure – Bagbin directs Ofori-Atta
- Osinachi’s husband charged with homicide
- I will return when issues with family are resolved – Adwoa Safo
- Today’s front pages: Friday, May 27, 2022
- Privileges Committee fails to meet Henry Quartey
- GES did not undertake $1.2 million ‘phantom’ training under my watch – Matthew Opoku Prempeh
- Special Prosecutor commences investigations into aspects of Sir John’s will
‘Any politician looting state properties is a disgrace to our democracy’ – Sam George
Government ready to improve automobile policy based on input of industry players – Akufo-Addo
One dead after armed men attack gold dealer’s shop at Enyinam on Accra-Kumasi highway
Covid-19 has repurposed HR’s role and renewed focus on employees – Vodafone HR Director
Bomso Basic Schools get 2-month free sanitary pad from Lady Pharmacists Association of Ghana
WHO sees no reason for alarm over monkeypox
Bagbin and Annor-Dompreh disagree over claims Parliament is broke
Football action in GPL and UCL reaches final
Number 12: Sannie Daara cleared off wrongdoing, GFA directed to re-appoint him
Private sector in Africa should lead the charge for sustainable economic development – CEO of The Tony Elumelu Foundation
GNAT engages National Security on ‘See Something, Say Something’ anti-terrorism campaign
Actor Morgan Freeman permanently banned from entering Russia
Return or resign – Dome-Kwabenya constituents to Adwoa Safo
Latif Abubakar tackles child labour, trafficking with Christmas-In-May
Revive once vibrant town council for a better, clean environment – Volta NADMO Boss urges