Audio By Carbonatix
Former boxer Nicola Adams and her Strictly Come Dancing partner Katya Jones have left the BBC contest after Jones tested positive for Covid-19.
A statement said the programme's "protocols" meant the pair would now self-isolate and would not be able to take part in the rest of the series.
They made history as the first same-sex couple to take part in the UK show.
"I'm absolutely devastated my Strictly journey has come to an end so soon," the Olympic gold medallist said.
"I had so much more to give and so many people to win this for! But I just want to say a huge thank you to Katya for being the best dance partner anyone could ask for.
"I'm gutted to be out of the competition but in these unprecedented times and as frustrating as it is, the Covid measures in place are to keep everyone safe, and I'm doing what I can to help."
Jones is asymptomatic and said she was "devastated to leave this way".
"But I've made a friend for life and loved every moment of this special journey," she added.
Host Claudia Winkleman said she was "so sad", while It Takes Two presenter Zoe Ball said she was "gutted for Nicola and Katya", adding: "You made history girls."
We're so sad about this. Nicola and Katya were completely brilliant. X https://t.co/UhHaBNP10r
— Claudia Winkleman (@ClaudiaWinkle) November 12, 2020
Gutted for Nicola and Katya. You made history girls. Sending them both all the love ♥️ https://t.co/R5gZeLNw8z
— Zoe Ball (@ZoeTheBall) November 12, 2020
Adams, who won Olympic gold medals in 2012 and 2016, said she asked the BBC for a female partner because it was "definitely time for change".
The pair came in the top half of the leaderboard with their quickstep in week one, and impressed the judges again in week two with their street/commercial routine.
But they found themselves in the dance-off last week after performing their jive, eventually being saved by the judges at the expense of former NFL player Jason Bell.
A number of crew members are also self-isolating after coming into contact with Jones, according to the PA news agency.
The show's executive producer Sarah James said: "We are incredibly sad that these unfortunate circumstances mean that Nicola and Katya are unable to continue on Strictly. They are a brilliant partnership and had already achieved so much during their time on the show."
Latest Stories
-
Imprisonment isn’t hopelessness – Ahafo GTA Regional Director tells inmates
34 minutes -
GH¢150m allocated for Black Stars’ 2026 World Cup preparations — Ernest Norgbey
43 minutes -
Strong food policies will protect the Ghanaian consumer against Non-Communicable Diseases – Groups
47 minutes -
JORVAGO marks 15 years in music with new single
51 minutes -
The Republic of Uncompleted Dreams…
2 hours -
Gov’t will not bow to pressure to restore old cocoa producer prices – Mahama Ayariga
2 hours -
Ghana Medical Trust Fund saves ICT tutor’s life
3 hours -
Family of rescued baby demands justice as Odododiodio MP urges stronger security measures
3 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Burkina Faso attack, Ofori-Atta off red notice and CJ’s petition dismissal
3 hours -
Ghana Link dismisses ‘missing’ transit truck claims
3 hours -
French soldier dies after being shot in the head during ‘game’ with other soldiers
3 hours -
Urgent research needed to tackle AI threats, says Google AI boss
3 hours -
Digital harassment against women MPs undermines democracy – GenCED
3 hours -
Birim North Police, Blue Water Guards arrest illegal chainsaw operators in dawn raid
3 hours -
Rare prison sentences handed to Cameroon soldiers after killing of 21 civilians
3 hours
