Audio By Carbonatix
Sulley Muntari could return to a lead role for Ghana in Saturday’s World Cup second round game against the United States days after being threatened with being sent home after an altercation with his coach.
Milovan Rajevac said the skillful but tempestuous midfielder, a recent Champions League winner with Inter Milan, was being considered for a possible starting role in the match at the Royal Bafokeng Stadium.
“He’s performed well in training and I will see overnight whether he will start from the beginning,” said Ghana’s coach at a pre-match news conference in Rustenburg on Friday.
Muntari was officially reprimanded five days ago following an outburst after the game against Australia in Rustenburg on June 19 where he was only used as a substitute.
Rajevac sought to have him expelled from the squad but relented after an apology and pleas from other players.
Muntari has had several run-ins with Ghanaian soccer authorities over the last nine months. He was left out of the African Nations Cup squad earlier this year after refusing to play in a warm-up friendly in November.
But a change in demeanour has seen Muntari now back in favour. He was also brought on as a substitute against Germany on Wednesday when Ghana lost 1-0 at Soccer City but still qualified for the knockout phase.
The 25-year-old, who already has 54 caps for Ghana, was expected to take a lead role in their World Cup campaign after an injury to Michael Essien but was left out of the team for Ghana’s opening match of the tournament.
Muntari was suspended at the 2006 World Cup for the final group match against the Americans, which Ghana won 2-1 also to go through to the second round.
Rajevac on Friday confirmed key defender Isaac Vorsah remained sidelined through injury but the two other centre backs, Jonathan Mensah and captain John Mensah, had recovered from knocks and would compete against the Americans.
Rajevac expects a taxing physical challenge from the United States, who increased the tempo of their play in the latter stage of each of the games they have played.
“Their opponents haven’t known how to deal with them,” he added.
Source: Ghanasoccernet.com
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Community cries for help over failing Abɔgyesɛ bridge
3 minutes -
Sports Minister pledges two months’ salary to Sports Fund
3 minutes -
COMAC and CBOD hint at strike over illegal diversion of LPG Fund to GCMC
13 minutes -
Women of Valour 2026 launched as survivors share abuse stories
14 minutes -
Smuggled cooking oil bust aimed at protecting Ghana’s economy—GRA boss
27 minutes -
Mamprobi Polyclinic baby theft suspect to appear in court
40 minutes -
Prudential Bank, Rana Motors, power music, culture and community at The Blend Festival 2026
42 minutes -
True love found again: Davisson-Konu recounts reunion with JHS sweetheart
42 minutes -
Kwadaso MCE leads drive to strengthen TVET education in Ashanti region
44 minutes -
Dr Ishmael Norman urges Nitiwul to apologise over ‘unfair’ remarks on Ghana’s defence strength
47 minutes -
John Dumelo to provide free cocoa drinks to Basic School Pupils in Ayawaso West
49 minutes -
Mfantsipim sets out five-pillar reform agenda ahead of 150th anniversary
50 minutes -
World Cup 2026: Ghana-England match in limbo
52 minutes -
Gov’t releases GH₵855m to pay cocoa farmers as Majority backs sweeping reforms to revive COCOBOD
59 minutes -
Burkina Faso attack: Nitiwul urges government to appoint Defence Minister
1 hour
