A suspected notorious thief identified as Yaw Okyere, alias Pazito, has been busted by some residents of Bibiani-Old Town in the Bibiani Anhwiaso Bekwai municipality of the Western North region.
The 24-year-old was nabbed on Tuesday when he attempted to steal a jackpot gaming machine.
The machine was said to have been loaded with an amount of ¢200, all coins, which is believed to be his main target.
Sources say Okyere was used as a scapegoat to serve as a deterrent to others.
Pazito was spared from being lynched and was offered to weed acres of bushy land around the community.
The assemblyman for the area, Zakari Mubarik, who rescued the suspect, told Adom News that his reign seeks to eradicate the mindset of instant justice.
He added that a large acre was apportioned to the alleged thief to weed as punishment for his attempt to steal.
After weeding in the scorching sun for hours, Pazito was made to rest, and he was served a bowl of the meal before his release.
Mr Mubarik, explaining the intent of such a decision, said most crimes are caused by poverty or lack of jobs.
Rather than treat the suspects harshly, he said he has put it before some executives to implement the communal labour agenda for suspected criminals.
- Reckless driver in viral video fails to appear in court after falling sick
- ‘I only met Godfred Dame to discuss Law School issues’ – Justice Dotse fights off Opuni bias claims
- I doubt impartiality of Justice Dotse; he should recuse himself – Opuni
- Court grants ‘Jesus Ahuofe’ ¢100k bail over Shatta Wale hoax shooting
- Sudan general declares state of emergency amid coup
- 37th ICAG Graduation Ceremony: female UEW graduate adjudged overall best candidate
- Auditor-General uncovers ¢44m worth of abandoned projects, completed projects not put to use across
- Oyibi, Apollonia, Awoshie and other areas to experience power interruption
- Madina MP leads constituents to demonstrate over deplorable roads
- Thousands throng El-Wak stadium for Ghana Immigration Service screening
Covid-19: Ghana’s death toll rises to 1,172
Re-nominated DCE of Adaklu fails second attempt
Treason: We don’t want to fail, it must happen – Dr Mac Palm
Message from the Morning Man: Pay for Pain
Stop begging for arrested criminals – Police to Politicians
SYND-Ghana hosts Pre-COP26 Youth Summit on climate change
There was about 1million vote difference between presidential and parliamentary results – Otokunor alleges
I blame EC for the 8 deaths recorded in 2020 elections – Otokunor
Delay in sanctioning culprits for deaths recorded in 2020 election worrying – Dr Pumpuni Asante
Ballot stuffing claims by NDC ‘bogus’ – Peter Mac Manu
EC reducing cost of elections per voter to $7.70 incorrect – Peter Otokunor
Streaming platforms do not properly represent massive support we give to our local musicians – Kwame Berko
2021 AFCON: Teams can have up to 28 players in squad
Confederation Cup is an opportunity for us to redeem themselves – Opare Addo
We reject Mahama’s scoring of 2020 elections as one of the worst – EC