Northern Regional Minister, Bede Ziedeng, says the swoop that resulted in the arrest of some 108 people in connection with the destruction of properties during a mob attack on Radio Justice in Tamale was a botched operation.
According to him, the Northern Regional Security Council, which he heads, ordered the release of all 108 suspects because the swoop was conducted at a location that was not close to the scene of the violence.
He insists that the combined operation between the police and military personnel last Wednesday only led to the arrest of 108 innocent people.
Irate youth on Tuesday March 11, 2014 torched properties at Radio Justice, an affiliate of Multimedia Group Ltd.
The angry youth besieged the premises of the station and are alleged to have demanded that a New Patriotic Party (NPP) representative on the station's morning show programme be presented to them.
They accused the NPP representative of making insensitive comments about one Mustapha Abdul Rashid who was lynched early Monday.
Three people were arrested later that day in connection with the vandalism.
But on Wednesday March 12, 108 persons were arrested following a swoop in an area upon the directive of the northern regional security council.
A few hours later they were released again on the command of the regional security council.
Media reports, including the Chronicle newspaper claimed the 108 persons picked up in connection with the Radio Justice violence may have been supporters of the ruling National Democratic Congress, and had been released because some people in power wanted to protect their interest.
But speaking on OK FM on Friday, the outgoing Northern Regional Minister, Bede Ziedeng, said those speculations should be rejected.
The Minister explained that "the REGSEC [Regional Security Council] took the decision and decided that it was a botched swoop so it asked that it should be reversed".
But when he was asked why the Council did not allow the suspects to be screened before letting them go, he retorted "no one can question the REGSEC".
He said based on the regional security command's own assessment, all 108 persons were innocent, however he said if anyone had evidence to prove otherwise, they can come forward.
- Takoradi woman in latest fake kidnapping jailed 6 years
- What are the 53 phone models that WhatsApp no longer supports?
- Allegations of bias against Justice Honyenuga unfounded, Opuni trial can proceed – Supreme Court
- As it happened: Shatta Wale, Medikal each granted ¢100k bail
- CAF Confederation Cup: Hearts of Oak drawn with Algeria’s JS Saoura
- Go to IMF for liquidity support; your finances not good – gov’t told
- Shatta Wale and Medikal each get ¢100k bail
- Alajo coup plot: You cannot travel to Kenya – Court declines Agordzo’s request
- Parliament’s debate on Anti-LGBTQ+ Bill and MPs’ vote to be made public
- My employee became my landlord at a point in my career – CEO of Websoft solutions recounts
Over 220,000 job opportunities from NAELP not meant for NPP foot soldiers – Abu Jinapor
Clinton’s former aide, Huma Abedin details sex assault by US senator
Brazil senators back criminal charges against Bolsonaro over Covid-19 handling
Collector returns Mayan artefact to Guatemala
Just because our relationship ended doesn’t mean I don’t wish you well
Archbishop of Canterbury, others oppose Anti-LGBTQ+ Bill, pledge to engage with Archbishop of Ghana
Ghanaian artistes urged to use resources available when making music to avoid song theft claims
Madina MP files contempt charges against police officers involved in Monday’s protest
Retract and apologise for defamatory publication or face court action – Lawyers of Eugene Arhin to Adom-Boakye
Elon Musk is now worth more than ExxonMobil
Government to punish employers who refuse to pay pension for employees
Parliament’s transparency on anti-LGBT bill is good for our democracy – Sam George
Covid: Biden sets new rules as air travel to the US reopens
Banning tricycles from highways unconstitutional – Minority
GFA to reward referee of the season with a car