Audio By Carbonatix
Three upcoming Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna have been cancelled following a possible security threat.
The shows, part of Swift's Eras tour, had been due to take place on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at the Ernst Happel Stadium.
On Wednesday, two people were arrested on suspicion of planning Islamist attacks on large events in the area around the Austrian capital.
A statement from the organisers said: "Due to confirmation by government officials of a planned terrorist attack at the Ernst Happel Stadium, we have no choice but to cancel the three planned shows for everyone's safety."
The statement added: "All tickets will be automatically refunded within the next 10 working days."
Earlier, Austria’s General Director for Public Security, Franz Ruf, said a 19-year-old Austrian citizen was arrested on Wednesday morning in Ternitz in the province of Lower Austria.
He said a second arrest took place in Vienna in the afternoon, but gave no further details about the suspect.
“According to the current status of the investigation, the two suspects became radicalised via the internet,” Mr Ruf said.
He said the 19-year-old made “an oath of allegiance” to so-called Islamic State at the beginning of July.
A large police operation took place in Ternitz, where the 19-year-old lived. A number of houses nearby were evacuated while his home was searched.
Mr Ruf said chemical substances had been found and were being examined.
The head of police in Vienna, Gerhard Pürstl, said 65,000 people per day had been expected to attend the concerts, as well as 22,000 fans outside the venue.
Investigations are continuing.
Molly Surette, who lives in Leeds in the UK, had been waiting eagerly to attend Saturday's show with friends, having purchased tickets more than a year ago.
"When she first announced her European tours, I signed up [to try and get tickets] for as many dates as possible," she told the BBC.
"We've been looking forward to it ever since."
The group was making friendship bracelets - which fans have been taking to the shows to swap with each other during the tour - when they heard the shows had been cancelled.
"There's been so much building up to this concert and what the Eras tour is as a unique event to even attend," said Molly.
"And I'm missing that. So I'm devastated. I guess I'll be watching the recorded one!
"But I'm glad everyone is hopefully going to be safe."
Latest Stories
-
Trump lashes out at Supreme Court justices over tariffs ruling
40 minutes -
Refrain from mass marketing or public promotional campaigns on virtual assets – BoG to VASPs
2 hours -
Government bans land transit of cooking oil; orders crackdown on customs complicity
2 hours -
NPA engages industry stakeholders on 24-hour economy pilot in petroleum sector
3 hours -
Ablakwa outlines key bilateral agreements with Burkina Faso to boost trade, security and border cooperation
3 hours -
Ghana, Burkina Faso deepen security ties after terrorists kill 8 Ghanaians in Titao
3 hours -
Luv FM launches 7th edition of Primary Schools Quiz; pupils urged to embrace Ghanaian culture
4 hours -
Nollywood star Michael Dappa stuns fans with big chop ahead of new film role
4 hours -
NPA slams gas ‘shortage’ rumours; assures over one month’s cover
4 hours -
BoG, SEC order the removal of all crypto billboards within 48 hours
5 hours -
Majority Leader fires back at Sefwi protesters
6 hours -
New Horizon Fun Games: Vice President calls for stronger national commitment to inclusion
6 hours -
Prof. Amoah warns Africa against becoming China’s ‘Dumping Ground’
7 hours -
President Mahama commissions B5 Plus Steel Ball Mill and Manufacturing Plant to ignite industrial revolution
7 hours -
Fighters demand amnesty for cannabis convicts following massive policy shift
8 hours
