May 1, has been earmarked annually to celebrate workers all over the world – International Workers’ Day.
Workers’ Day is celebrated in over 80 countries.
The year 2022 will be no exception to the rule. Already, three hashtags are being circulated on Twitter to spread the achievements of workers.
They are #MayDay, #WorkersDay and #LabourDay.
Social media users are drawing attention to the fact that workers need to be remunerated accordingly, for the work they do.
Since it is a new month, “Happy new month” is also trending on the social media space.
History of Labour Day
The first May Day celebration focused on workers took place on May 1, 1890, after its proclamation by the first international congress of socialist parties in Europe on July 14, 1889, in Paris, France, to dedicate May 1st every year as the “Workers Day of International Unity and Solidarity.”
The date was chosen due to events on the other side of the Atlantic. In 1884 the American Federation of Organized Trades and Labor Unions demanded an eight-hour workday, to come in effect as of May 1st 1886.
This resulted in the general strike and the Haymarket (in Chicago) Riot of 1886, but eventually also in the official sanction of the eight-hour workday.
- Disregard statement declaring Friday, Sept 30 as a holiday – Oyibi Divisional Council
- Danadams Pharmaceuticals and CEO in court over alleged fraud and forgery
- GFA suspends 2022/23 Ghana Premier League over court injunction
- Man arrested for threatening to release nude videos of late brother’s wife
- ‘I’m extremely regretful’ – KiDi apologises for ‘inappropriate and unkind’ old tweets
- T Bills, short-term securities will not be affected by Ghana’s debt restructuring – US-based Associate Professor
- Land acquisition: Here is what you missed on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show
- Pastor jailed for life after planning coup and black genocide
- We will still be a prime supplier of Mercedes-Benz services in Ghana – Silver Star
- Every single day Akufo-Addo remains President, the country drifts into peril – Dr Amoako Baah
- Trevor Noah is leaving ‘The Daily Show’
- Banking sector crisis was not systemic – Alhassan Andani
- Banking Sector Clean-up: We should have allowed institutional disciplines to work – Alhassan Andani
- Banking sector crisis: State institutions must raise red flags at the right time – Alhassan Andani
- GRASAG launches Graduate Research Trust Fund to support scientific and policy-oriented research for national development
- British Airways flight A380 makes technical stop at KIA
- Ghana, Korea $8 million rice project kicks off in Assin North
- SIM re-registration: National Security has warned Akufo-Addo against blockage – Deputy Minority Chief Whip
- We are engaging ECG to fix anomaly with electricity purchase – PURC
- Chinese employer allegedly slashes throat of Ghanaian employee
- SIM re-registration: “Eat your humble pie” – Sam George tells Ursula Owusu
- NIA called, begged 9 Ghanaians to come for their Ghana Cards after filing complaint in court – Sam George
- Livestream: PM Express discusses the survival of banks in economic crisis
- Mfantsipim Old Boys Association holds annual engagement series
- betPawa Premier League: Seydou Zerbo getting frustrated with Kotoko strikers