Audio By Carbonatix
Togo's football team has decided to play in the Africa Cup of Nations, even though the government withdrew it after a deadly attack on Friday, players say.
Thomas Dossevi told the AFP news agency the players wanted to stay in Angola in memory of the three people who were killed when rebels fired on their bus.
L'Equipe quoted Alaixys Romao as saying the team would not leave like cowards.
Togo has demanded Angola explain why it was not warned of the dangers of travel in Cabinda, where the bus was ambushed.
Angolan officials had earlier expressed astonishment that the team had travelled there by road from their base in the Republic of Congo.
'Unanimous decision'
On Saturday, Togo government spokesman Pascal Bodjona said the players were returning home because they were in a state of shock.
"We cannot in such a dramatic circumstance continue in the Africa Cup of Nations," he told reporters.
But later two players said they were determined to stay.
"We are all heartbroken, it is no longer a party, but we want to show our national colours, our values and that we are men," Thomas Dossevi said.
"It was a decision taken nearly unanimously by the team which met during the night after having been reassured by the Angolan authorities," he added.
Alaixys Romao also said the decision had been unanimous.
"We have just had a meeting of the whole delegation and we will be on the pitch on Monday to face Ghana," he said.
Manchester City, the club of Togo's captain, Emmanuel Adebayor, said on its website on Friday that he was returning to the UK.
"People have died for the Africa Cup of Nations, others have been injured. We can't let them down and leave like cowards," Romao added.
"If we stay here it's for them, but also not to give any satisfaction to the rebels. Our government does not necessarily agree with us but we are all determined to play this competition," he added.
When contacted on Saturday night, a spokesman for the tournament organisers, the Confederation of African Football (Caf), could not confirm the reports, saying: "I don't know. I am not aware so far. I've not heard any communication."
Caf had earlier said it understood Togo's withdrawal, but that the six other matches scheduled to be played in Cabinda would go ahead.
Security guarantee
In Friday's attack, several gunmen opened fire on the Togo team bus shortly after it had crossed from the Republic of Congo into the enclave of Cabinda.
Adebayor told the BBC the players and support staff were trapped on the bus for 30 minutes as Angolan police fought the attackers. They eventually had to flee under fire to get into the vehicles sent to rescue them, he said.
Togolese officials said the driver had died at the scene, while media officer Stanislas Ocloo and assistant coach Amalete Abalo died later in hospital.
The separatist rebel Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda (Flec), which has fought for independence for several decades but entered into a ceasefire in 2006, later claimed responsibility for the attack.
The Angolan government, which had hoped the tournament would show how well it had recovered from the fighting, called the incident an "act of terrorism".
CAF president Issa Hayatou said he had received a guarantee that security would be increased for all teams and at all venues.
The bi-annual Africa Cup of Nations begins with the hosts playing Mali in Luanda on Sunday and lasts until 31 January.
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ashanti Regional Minister inaugurates spatial planning committees, unveils plan to restore Kumasi’s Green Glory
8 minutes -
St Thomas Aquinas SHS hit by infrastructure deficit; appeals for key facilities
9 minutes -
Minority alleges gov’t plot to divert attention from cocoa price cut debate
21 minutes -
Democracy Hub files court injunction to stop Ayawaso East by-election over vote-buying in NDC primary
24 minutes -
Afrimaas urges media to defend industry at World Radio Day summit
31 minutes -
Bawumia condemns killing of Ghanaian traders in Burkina Faso terror attack
36 minutes -
South African trio charged with Bolt driver’s murder filmed on dashcam
43 minutes -
HeFRA launches investigation into alleged refusal of emergency care leading to death of road traffic accident victim
45 minutes -
Maison Yusif Fragrance showcases Africa’s organic fragrance power at BIOFACH Germany
1 hour -
GoldBod suspends gold buying licence applications amid regulatory reforms
1 hour -
GoldBod suspends selected gold buying licence applications ahead of regulatory reforms
1 hour -
Student death puts French far-left under pressure
1 hour -
One song, one voice: How ‘Aha Y3’ stole the night at Awake Experience 2026
1 hour -
SEC flags ‘Mekanism’ as illegal investment scam promising daily returns
1 hour -
Awake Experience 2026 ends in frenzied praise as Diana Hamilton delivers electrifying performance
1 hour
