Audio By Carbonatix
A 47-year-old trader who is accused of collecting GH¢147,000 under the pretext of recruiting 27 persons into the Ghana Immigration Service (GIS) but failed, has been remanded by an Adentan Circuit Court.
Naomi Larweh Teiko, charged with defrauding by false pretences, has pleaded not guilty.
Naomi is expected to appear before the court presided over by Mrs Sedinam Awo Balokah on April 21.
The prosecution, led by Inspector Eric Ransford Abban, narrated that the complainant Hajia Habiba Abdulai was a businesswoman residing at Adenta, Accra.
It said Naomi was also a resident of Adenta.
In May 2022, Naomi allegedly approached the complainant claiming she had an Immigration Officer, who wanted to assist in recruiting some people into the Ghana Immigration Service (GIS).
The prosecution said the complainant developed an interest and collected various sums of money totalling GH¢121,000 from 25 family members.
It said the complainant also paid an additional GH¢26,000 for her two daughters.
The prosecution said the complainant handed over all the monies collected totalling GH¢147,000 to the accused.
It said the accused person, after collecting the money, assured the complainant that the 27 persons would be going for training after they had been medically screened.
The prosecution said the accused person, however, went into hiding thereafter and the matter was reported to the Police.
It said Naomi was picked up and in her investigation caution statement admitted the offence and indicated that she had handed over the money to one Owusu, an Immigration Officer.
The prosecution said Naomi, however, refused to lead the Police to Owusu.
Latest Stories
-
Analyst says Burkina Faso killings were a calculated signal to Ghana
2 hours -
Veep extends Ramadan greetings, donates to Cape Coast Central Mosque
3 hours -
UBIDS secures $6.6m prefabricated classroom complex to end space deficit
4 hours -
Gold Fields Ghana Foundation deepens childhood cancer awareness drive; invests $4.8m in community health
4 hours -
Iran students stage first large anti-government protests since deadly crackdown
5 hours -
Fire guts Saboba Hospital’s Children Ward
6 hours -
Interior Ministry extends aptitude test dates for WASSCE applicants in 2025/26 security services recruitment
6 hours -
National Investment Bank donates GH₵1m to support GAF barracks redevelopment project
7 hours -
Gomoa-East demolition: 14 suspects remanded by Kasoa Ofaakor Court
8 hours -
Divers recover bodies of seven Chinese tourists from bottom of Lake Baikal
9 hours -
From windstorm to resilience: How Wa school is growing climate protection
10 hours -
Reclaiming the Garden City: Dr. Kwame Adinkrah urges Kumasi to rein in billboard proliferation
10 hours -
Bursar of Ghanata SHS arrested for alleged diversion of student food supplies
10 hours -
Trump says he will increase global tariffs to 15%
10 hours -
Bogoso-Prestea mine records first gold pour after 24-month shutdown
10 hours
