Audio By Carbonatix
More than 600 people are now being investigated in Turkey over buildings that collapsed in the deadly earthquake on 6 February, the government has said.
On Saturday, Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag said 184 suspects - including construction contractors and property owners - had already been arrested.
For years, experts warned that endemic corruption and government policies meant many new buildings were unsafe.
The confirmed death toll in Turkey and Syria has now exceeded 50,000.
Mr Bozdag made the televised remarks from south-eastern Turkey, where the 7.8 magnitude quake struck and was followed by another powerful tremor just hours later.
His comments showed how the investigation had widened - two weeks ago, the authorities said that 113 arrest warrants had been issued.
Among those that have been arrested is a mayor of one of the towns close to where the tremors hit, Turkish media reported.
More than 160,00 buildings collapsed or were severely damaged in Turkey after the quakes, raising questions about whether the natural disaster's impact was made worse by human failings.
Opposition parties and some construction experts accuse President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's administration of failing to enforce building regulations and trying to divert overall blame for the disaster.
They say that government policies have allowed so-called amnesties for contractors who swerved building regulations, in order to encourage a construction boom, including in earthquake-prone regions.
Mr Erdogan has admitted shortcomings, but has appeared to blame fate for the scale of the disaster.
"Such things have always happened. It's part of destiny's plan," he said during a recent visit to the region.
With elections on the horizon, Mr Erdogan's future is on the line after 20 years in power - and his pleas for national unity have gone unheeded.
Latest Stories
-
We don’t have to go back, 17 times at IMF is enough – Nana Yaa Jantuah
2 minutes -
Current account surplus: quarter one 2026 exceeds 2025 period by US$652m
4 minutes -
Lynx quits artiste management, focuses on music distribution and electronics
7 minutes -
Opponent watch: Modric headlines as Croatia announce 2026 World Cup squad
8 minutes -
NPP members in Tarkwa-Nsuaem to protest over alleged internal electoral irregularities
11 minutes -
MPC opens 130th meeting to review Ghana’s economy
12 minutes -
UK growth forecast upgraded by IMF but risks remain
14 minutes -
Xenophobic attacks: First batch of 300 Ghanaians to be evacuated from South Africa on May 21
16 minutes -
Irish president to meet King Charles during official visit
22 minutes -
Deprived districts to benefit most from 8,000 health workers’ recruitment — Health Ministry
23 minutes -
GNFS honours Director of Logistics DCFO Heroine Sekyere Boakye after 36 years of dedicated service
27 minutes -
Agenda 111: “It was not prudent to start 111 hospitals at once” – Mahama
29 minutes -
GPNet to hold ‘Photo Walk’ in Accra to celebrate visual storytelling
31 minutes -
Inside the ‘kill-zone’ on Ukraine’s front line, where new weapons have transformed war
34 minutes -
Photos: GNFS honours Director of Logistics DCFO Heroine Sekyere Boakye after 36 years of dedicated service
35 minutes