A Ugandan Member of Parliament has averred that some of his colleagues who were engaged in chaotic exchanges in the chamber are on drugs.
The 62-year-old Bright Rwamirama, a retired major, representing the people of Isingiro County North subsequently called for tests on the said MPs.
“In this House, we have immunity for what we say not what we do. They should be punished for their actions. We are not short of manpower. If we are violent like them, we have the capacity to deploy 4 per person. They are only 36,” he said on the floor as debate started after the second day of chaos.
Rwamirama: I am convinced beyond reasonable doubt that some members are taking drugs. We must test people for drugs in this House #PlenaryUg
— Parliament of Uganda (@Parliament_UG) September 28, 2017
The issue of contention which led to two-days of chaos in the lawmaking chamber is a motion of presidential age limit. A motion introduced by MPs of the ruling party is seeking to scrap age restriction on who can vie for the presidency.
The main beneficiary of the motion is believed to be incumbent Yoweri Museveni, who at 73 years will be unable to contest in the next elections in 2022. He will have passed the limit of 75 years as per the constitution.
Uganda in a 2015 referendum scrapped term limits for the presidency in a move that allowed Museveni to contest in the 2016 elections which he won by over 60%. The opposition contested the vote saying it was a ‘fraud.’
- Bongo scandal: Assembly withdraws ¢187k from contractor’s bank account without permission
- Intelligence Bureau arrests man with 656 ATM cards at KIA
- Hushpuppi – the Instagram influencer and international fraudster
- Dortmund’s Otto Addo to be appointed Black Stars assistant coach
- ARB Apex Bank investigates how Bongo Assembly withdrew money from account without owner’s approval
- Rwandan court finds ‘Hotel Rwanda’ film hero guilty in terrorism case
- Police to amend charges against Rev. Owusu Bempah and four others
- Milovan Rajevac announcement imminent after government, GFA execs approval
- Why single people smell different
- ‘Sometimes players don’t like it’ – Pochettino reacts to subbing off Messi
Agriculture and education will be a priority when approved – Tain DCE nominee
7 detained final year students of Sawla SHS denied bail
Francis-Xavier shares life story as Village of Hope celebrates 25th Anniversary
Board of Directors for Ghana Water Company inaugurated
Ejura shootings: Affected families submit Right to Information request for Committee’s report to President, Interior Minister
We should allow political parties to sponsor nominees in Assembly elections – Dan Botwe
Majority of the 260 MMDCE nominees should be confirmed within 10 days – Dan Botwe
Women entrepreneurs dominate private sector – Study says
Consciously plan for your retirement – Axis Pension boss urges
Akufo-Addo not required to choose MMDCEs from recommended list, selection process was only to aid him – Nana B
Ace Power Promotions Return With 4 Title Fights In Accra October 16
Black Queens bounce back in victory over Cameroon
Access Bank’s ‘Business Startup Challenge’ launched
West Blue Consulting Founder, Valentina Mintah joins Board of Kuenyehia Trust for Contemporary Art
Playback: PM Express discusses MMDCE nominations