The first round of the US Open concluded on day two with Andy Murray coming from behind to win his first Grand Slam match in 18 months. Serena Williams also recorded her 102nd win in the US Open, the most in tournament history, male or female.
Number two seed Dominic Thiem progressed to round two when opponent Jaume Munar retired after the second set at Louis Armstrong Stadium.
Munar abandoned before the start of the third set, with Austria’s Thiem leading 7-6, 6-3.
Thiem now faces India’s Sumit Nagal, who became the first Indian man since 2013 to reach the second round of a Grand Slam event with a 6-1, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 win over Bradley Klahn of the United States.
Andy Murray rolled back the years with a vintage comeback after he came from two sets down to win a five-set thriller in his first singles Slam match in 18 months.
Murray secured a stunning 4-6, 4-6, 7-6, 7-6, 6-4 come-from-behind victory in a bruising 4 hr and 39 min encounter against Japan’s 49th-ranked Yoshihito Nishioka.
Matteo Berrettini and Daniil Medvedev enjoyed straight set victories as well.
In the women’s division, six-time winner Serena Williams powered past 96th-ranked Kristie Ahn 7-5, 6-3 as she started the latest bid of her protracted pursuit to match Margaret Court’s Grand Slam title count with a straight-sets win at Flushing Meadows.
Unlike her sister, Venus Williams was beaten by No. 20-seeded Karolina Muchova 6-3, 7-5.
There was little consolation to Venus that by appearing in the tournament for the 22nd time, she broke the women’s record in the Open era. She had been tied with Martina Navratilova.
- NSMQ 2021: When Prof Kaufmann was left speechless by Ketasco’s Bright Senyo
- As it happened: NSMQ 2021 – Presec, Ketasco and Prempeh College battled for trophy
- Parliament rejects 2022 budget
- Playback: NSMQ 2021 – Presec, Prempeh and Ketasco battle for trophy and glory
- NSMQ 2021: And God rested on the ‘Seven’ day to ‘Glory5’ Prempeh College
- Speaker suspends sitting over Majority Caucus’ absence in the chamber
- You lament over 1.75% levy, but not paying taxes – Ofori-Atta to 60,000 professionals, others
- Police publish list of 5 wanted vehicles for flouting road regulations
- Friends of missing Lands Commission staff besiege Asokwa District Court ahead of hearing
- NSMQ2021: Social media reacts to Prempeh catapulting decapitated Presec back to Accra
Mahama hands over renovated boys dormitory block to Ghanasco
Dela Sedode: Christ Me! Bagbin
FDA retrieves 270 cartons of expired Charme Sparkling juice
‘Killer budget isn’t coming back; we’re burying it for good’ – Ablakwa
Ministry of Lands PRO wins overall best PR officer of the year award
Join NDC’s presidential race if you are interested in being number 1 – John Boadu to Alban Bagbin
Livestream: Newsfile discusses 2022 budget and energy sector debt
2022 budget is a complete break away from the politics of borrowing – Buaben Asamoa
Cargill commissions $13m cocoa processing plant expansion in Tema
NPP will not shy away from unpopular decisions – John Boadu
Speaker’s ruling on 2022 budget has no binding effect on Parliament – Majority Leader
The last time a national budget was rejected in Ghana
Majority stages walkout over approval of 2022 budget
We’ll not tolerate any disrespect from Speaker – Majority Leader after walkout
‘Parliament hasn’t constitutionally rejected our budget’ – K.T Hammond