The Upper West Regional Minister, Dr Hafiz Bin Salih has expressed the people’s dissatisfaction over some allegations against members of the governing council of the Simon Diedong Dombo University.
His concern comes at a time when there have been allegations that some top management members of the university are involved in misappropriation, insubordination and breach of procurement protocols.
Dr Bin Salih, interacting with the council during a visit to his office in Wa, stated that “The people of the Upper West region are lovely people and very accommodating but there is an extent to which they can tolerate some of the things that are happening.’’
According to reports from JoyNews’ Rafiq Salam, these accusations have resulted in some residents threatening to embark on a demonstration.
The Regional Minister, therefore, entreated new members of the governing council to investigate the suspicions and ensure that the right things are done at the university.
“The university is for all Ghanaians but it is located in the Upper West region. It is a university for all Ghanaians and beyond. People outside the country who wish to study at SDD-UBIDS could come here but the interest of the people of the Upper West region must be catered for,’’ he added.
On his part, Chairman of the governing council, Kweku Painstil gave the assurance that the council will address the matter head-on.
‘‘This is the first of possible series of meetings and interactions that we will have and I am believing that in the course of our interactions, we will get to know issues and deal with the issues as we get to know them.”
SDD-UBIDS was carved out from the University for Development Studies (UDS) and given an autonomous status in 2018.
Before then, it used to serve as the Wa campus of the University for Development Studies.
An interim governing council of the university was subsequently inaugurated to steer the affairs of the university until a substantive governing council was appointed and chaired by Lawyer Kweku Painstil.
- Akufo-Addo was apt, Aflao chief is not supposed to give Ministers of State ultimatums – Okoe Boye
- ‘Go and sin no more’ – Court cautions evangelist for fingering, fondling woman
- Arrogance of power has taken over Akufo-Addo – Sammy Gyamfi
- Video of unknown driver driving dangerously in Accra goes viral
- We already knew that Komenda was an emotional project – Kofi Bentil
- Ghanaians would have paid more for sugar even with Komenda Sugar Factory – Kofi Bentil
- Adom TV’s ‘Big Talent Show’ gave me hope after I was wrongfully jailed for 5 years – Contestant
- 38 persons arrested for alleged assault on police officers
- It is possible Radio Gold, others may not transmit from their original frequencies – NCA
- NIA to suspend services at all 34 registration centres from Oct. 25
Police arrest driver driving dangerously in viral video
Samson’s Take: Let’s support the police
Assistant police chief claims she was told to get abortion to keep her job
Why Kenyan churches are banning politicians from pulpits
Breast cancer is not a spiritual disease – Dr Ackon
Video of unknown driver driving dangerously in Accra goes viral
Winning the Super Cup will motivate us for Premier League promotion – Skyy FC coach
DOL Super Cup: Skyy FC edge out Tema Youth in epic shoot to claim maiden title
Ibrahimovic scores at both ends as Milan edge nine-man Bologna
Guardiola believes Foden can get better after his brace against Brighton
80% of widows who turned out for Tamale screening diagnosed with hypertension
KNUST JHS wins maiden edition of Nhyira FM Akan Akansie
Ejisuman SHS embarks on Peace Walk over encroachment of school lands
It’s time to legislate on funding, executing of projects – Kofi Bentil
NIA to suspend services at all 34 registration centres from Oct. 25